Boot from IMG file

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

hBarcellos
Student Driver

Boot from IMG file

Post by hBarcellos »

Hi Mac Emulation community,

Im testing SheepShaver on Gentoo 2004.0. My compilation is OK and ROM is working perfectly.
A friend of mine has sent me an .IMG file that contains an image of Mac OS.
Is it possible to mount it so sheepshaver can boot from it ? Or, how can i burn an .IMG file using a PC ? (Windows or Linux) ?

thanks in advance,
Heitor Barcellos
ex MSX & Amiga user.... :P
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Yeah, I think you can burn the file to CD and boot from it. Use NERO or something.

I don't know - I have only burned one CD in my life. But yeah, you shuld be able to do this from Windows and then boot from it.

Yeah, I had this macos image I wanted to boot from, so I gave it to my brother, and he put it on a CD, using NERO.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

hBarcellos
Student Driver

Post by hBarcellos »

I Cant boot it with Nero. It keeps me asking for some parameters saying that the image is a "foreign image". I have read that its possible to burn it using cdrecord on Linux. I have already d/l it and installed it (using the great emerge from gentoo!) but i dont know how to use it to burn mac images... :cry:

Post by Guest »

hBarcellos wrote:I Cant boot it with Nero. It keeps me asking for some parameters saying that the image is a "foreign image". I have read that its possible to burn it using cdrecord on Linux. I have already d/l it and installed it (using the great emerge from gentoo!) but i dont know how to use it to burn mac images... :cry:
What version nero? Some of the newer versions are better at auto detecting what type of image it is.

Otherwise, media is cheap, try a few settings. The default, 2048 / mode 1 may work.
Gwenole

Post by Gwenole »

If "file <your .img file>" reports an HFS file system, you can directly boot from it by specifying the path to it as a disk image.
hBarcellos
Student Driver

Post by hBarcellos »

Nero 5.5.9.14
The problem is that when i try to use some settings like 2048 / mode 1 or HFS it keeps me saying that the value is not correct, and asks me if i want to correct or ignore.
Correct gets me to the previous dialog and ignore... Well I dont know if it will produce a readable image doing that! :P

I have tried ISOBUSTER to analyze the .IMG but... Unreadable too... :(
I have an iMac G3 DV SE (400mhz) side by side with the Athlon Box. But im not sure if there's something there that can help me... :)
regards...
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

I believe the error is that the IMG was made with Apple's Disk Copy utility, and it doesn't create sector size and postgaps that are correct for CD authoring, so Nero won't recognize it as such.

The solution? Hmm, convert it to Toast format using a Mac, but that Mac has to be running Classic OS, not OS X.

Or have your friend who gave it to you use Toast to create the image. Then Nero will allow you to burn it as HFS.
hBarcellos
Student Driver

Post by hBarcellos »

Balance: I have a iMac 400 DV SE here at my side. The're on my linksys router but i dont know how to transfer files between them! (Im kind of unexperienced with Mac OS)
Im using Mac OS 9.1 on it.
To convert the IMG to Toast format which program would i need ?

regards,
Heitor
former Amiga and MSX user!