SheepShaver under Fedora Core 1 under VPC...

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

MiLToS_666
Inquisitive Elf

SheepShaver under Fedora Core 1 under VPC...

Post by MiLToS_666 »

Hello everybody,

I am running Windows XP Pro and I have installed Fedora Core 1 under Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 successfuly. It runs like a charm actually but that's not my point anyway... :oops:
I have installed SheepShaver 2.2 using an RPM I downloaded and it installed fine too. I extracted the PPC ROM from MacOnLinux and placed it where it should be so here goes:
When I press the Start button in SheepShaver it says "Reading ROM File..." and then it quits doing nothing at all... Why? :cry:
I only have a Mac OS 8.0 CD to boot from so I tried this but I don't think that's the problem, it doesn't even show anything!
I read through the posts here and found similar problems but the solutions didn't work for me. Can anybody please tell me what I have to do to get this thing running? BasiliskII runs fine under this emulated Linux system by the way... I have disabled all resolutions except for Window 640x480 and 800x600 but nothing... Always quits without any reaction... Played around with the Refresh rates... nothing...

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Best wishes,

MiLToS_666
mike

Post by mike »

well, from what ive heard fedora/redhat doesnt like sheepshaver very much. you might want to try another distribution like mandrake(cause gwenole is on their payroll ;)

hope this helps,
mike
emufan

try

Post by emufan »

try disabling sound, and the cd driver, and only leave 800x600 windowed as a resolution.
also start sheepshaver from a terminal to see if it quits on anything specific.
i had the same problems, and it seemed to be the sound.
MiLToS_666
Inquisitive Elf

Post by MiLToS_666 »

Thanks for the replies mates,

I have tried to disable sound and get the same behaviour! I also left only 800x600 checked...
I'm always starting SheepShaver from the terminal and it quits without any error messages, it just quits!
Well, I've read about Fedora Core 1 incompatibilities so I will install Mandrake 9.2 for real and not under VPC, I've done it before but I liked Fedora's desktop appearance better!

Thanks again, I'll post my results!

MiLToS_666
neo

Post by neo »

try to zap the Pram file ! it worked fine for me.
MiLToS_666
Inquisitive Elf

Post by MiLToS_666 »

OK I installed Mandrake 9.2 for real and not under VPC.
Installed RPM package of SheepShaver, copied the extracted ROM file in place but I get the same dialog box described here:
http://www.emaculation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=789
It's about wrong ROM filesize!
What can I do now? Damn it!

MiLToS_666
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Did you do it just as such:

http://www.ou.nl/open/hsp/Engels/SheepS ... ow_to.html

That really ought to work..
MiLToS_666
Inquisitive Elf

Post by MiLToS_666 »

I followed the steps carefuly! I will try again though!
This time I'm re-downloading the Mac_OS_ROM_Update_1.0.smi.bin from Apple's site... Also re-downloaded tomeview.hqx

Keeping my fingers crossed!

MiLToS_666
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I don't know what to say... I don't know what to say. I only know that the extension ought to be .rom. Maybe you need to double-check that you are pointing to the right file?

I don't know...
MiLToS_666
Inquisitive Elf

Post by MiLToS_666 »

Okay I did the rom extraction again using BasiliskII and Mac OS 8.1. Then I copied the rom file in windows using HFV Explorer but I told the program to copy it as raw data and not to automaticaly decide like it did previously!
I named the rom file "ROM" (no extention) as it is stated in the SheepShaver guide but I don't think that matters anyway!
So, I fired up Linux, loaded SheepShaver set the options and then pressed the start button! :lol:
Magically, a grey window appeared! A couple of seconds later the CD started spinning up (Mac OS 8.0 original CD) and the "Welcome to Mac OS" screen appeared! I almost pissed on my pants! :oops:
But then... nothing... just seemed to have frozen or sth!
I tried again, same things happened!

Hmmm... I'm dissapointed... :cry:

MiLToS_666
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

i prosume you won't be needing the rom you PMd me about then?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Wait... the guide says no extension? I guess that isn't a factor.

Also:

GODDAM with the piracy!!!
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Milt, are you looking at the "grey" screen? If so, you might want to give it a few minutes. It is slow to boot on my setup as well.

Let the computer sit for twenty minutes and come back to it (though it shouldn't take longer than five).

A couple other threads mention this, I think.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Like this one:

http://www.emaculation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=800

"i use that rom image as well...i noticed the first time i tried booting off it, it did the same thing... i rebooted SheepShaver several times...then i walked away and let it sit trying to boot for like 15 minutes..when i came back it was botting off the rom... slowly..after that i rebooted it again (after if booted from the cd fully) and it now boots up with good speed"
Cat_7
Expert User

rom file name

Post by Cat_7 »

Hello you two,

It doesn't matter how you call the rom file, as long as you enter the correct name (and path) in the settings window. It only needs the exact mentioned name (ROM) and place if you enter nothing in the settings window.

Waiting for SheepShaver to create the pram file etc. seems like the best way to go here.

Cat_7
MiLToS_666
Inquisitive Elf

Post by MiLToS_666 »

Stephen Coates wrote:i prosume you won't be needing the rom you PMd me about then?
Hey Stephen, thanks for letting the universe know about it!!! :P :lol:

Okay, I solved the rom problem... found a real 4096K one and gave this to SheepShaver. Mac OS 8.0 cd booted instantly without problems and also installed fine though very slowly! But the emulation crashed as soon as I rebooted and it reached the desktop. Guess it's some kind of extention bugging it! But I'm happy that it ran fine at last!
Now I need to get a Mac OS 8.5 or 8.6 CD from ebay... They're not as cheap as 8.0 and 8.1... I remember buying 8.0 cd for 15 euros!

Best wishes,

MiLToS_666
orudge
Space Cadet

Post by orudge »

I had the same problem, but when I used a 4096KB ROM, it worked. However, it crashes with the JIT compiler turned on (works without it) - any ideas why?