Sheepshaver and El Capitan ...

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Sheepshaver and El Capitan ...

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The ReadMe with my February 2014 build starts with:
"This UB build was compiled from source as it existed in cebix/macemu github repository on February 1, 2014, using SDL 1.2.15."
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sentient06
Mac Mechanic

Post by sentient06 »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:The ReadMe with my February 2014 build starts with:
"This UB build was compiled from source as it existed in cebix/macemu github repository on February 1, 2014, using SDL 1.2.15."
Blimey, I didn't see it! And it is well at the top.

Thanks for pointing out!

I will try compiling in GCC 4.2 tomorrow. Thanks again!
Phrannest
Space Cadet

Post by Phrannest »

Sad! I too am having trouble running Sheepshaver on my Mid-2010 27-inch imac running OS X El Capitan. Any hope for me? I get a blinking disc icon. I tried a reinstall, which didn't even give me the blinking disc icon, so I dragged the old install out of the trash, got that icon back. I use it to run an old version of Photoshop with Kai's Power Tools, and also to run an old build of Io Horoscope, Io Wizardry etc., which are just fun programs.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

@ Phrannest:

The fact that you see te blinking question mark means that SheepShaver is running fine. Apparently it cannot find the startup volume. You may need to reconfigure SheepShaver (see setup guide). Does the disk image with startup volume appear in the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences?

If you do not succeed, post here the content of your prefs file:

Start Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities) and type at the prompt:

Code: Select all

open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs
The file will open in your default text editor. Select all content, copy it, and paste it here in your reply.
fheijnen
Space Cadet

Post by fheijnen »

Hello Ronald,

I have the sheepshaver wrapper running on 10.11.3 with the new world rom. Problem I have is that the created hard disks are not recognised as such but Schijf EHBO van see them and check them (although it calls them diskettes). When trying to install a Performa type system from the back up CD the program comes back with "no hard disks found".
Info on the disk confirms presence: kind: disk, Format Mac OS Extended, etc
Any help?

Thanks,
Frans

By the way: the wrapper runs with the 32 bits option both set and not set.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Which SheepShaver wrapper?

Which MacOS version and for what Performa model was it intended?
(SheepShaver will only run MacOS intended for PPC machines. So only MacOS for Performa models 5200 through 6420 could possibly work, although even for those systems modifications may be needed.)

Exactly how do you try to install that Performa system from what kind of back-up CD?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I think "SheepShaver wrapper" is this one:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =33&t=7363

I haven't tested or updated this, and mostly forgot that it existed. But I'm glad to hear that it still works!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I still use the wrapper, but I ripped out the old SS build and inserted the latest one for my copies.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I'll update it in the next few days and post a note when it's done. I didn't realize that anyone was actually using it.
jwoolman
Space Cadet

Post by jwoolman »

i was able to successfully install the Sheepsaver version that comes with WordPerfect on my 2015 Macbook/El Capitan. The only thing I noticed was that I need to launch it directly from the original app icon.

Haven't played with anything yet except WordPerfect, since I'm feeling rather foggy and can't yet figure out the instructions for adding other apps. I know I successfully tested Word 98 in a regular Sheepshaver install on my mac mini, can't remember what OS (Tiger? Leopard? Snow Leopard? El Capitan is the first non-feline mac OS I've ever used).

Once the fog lifts, will try installing my vital OS 9 (aka Brown Tabby) programs: Office 98, Wordfast translation memory program, some ancient dictionaries whose developers are probably dead, Quicken 98 for whatever time it has left (they thought the world would end in 2026 apparently), Hypercard, and most importantly my ancient lower ascii Cyrillic font which is what firmly ties me to OS 9 because I can't get it to display in OS 10. I'm crippled without it, I have decades of archived work requiring it. I really need to get the MacBook up and running because of a medical issue that often interferes with working on my trusty old dual processor, speedy but non-intel G4 (running 10.2.8, believe it or don't).