Sheepshaver won't start

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

gorans
Inquisitive Elf

Sheepshaver won't start

Post by gorans »

Hi,

I have no luck getting Sheepshaver to run on 10.10.5 Yosemite. It was ok on Mavericks.

Sheepshaver starts, shows blank window (with size from prefs) and hangs hogging the processors.

all I get in console is:

Code: Select all

16.12.2015. 18:26:04,262 SheepShaver[4351]: CPSGetCurrentProcess(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
16.12.2015. 18:26:04,262 SheepShaver[4351]: set_foreground_operation_state(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
16.12.2015. 18:26:04,340 SheepShaver[4351]: WARNING: The Gestalt selector gestaltSystemVersion is returning 10.9.5 instead of 10.10.5. Use NSProcessInfo's operatingSystemVersion property to get correct system version number.
Call location:
16.12.2015. 18:26:04,340 SheepShaver[4351]: 0   CarbonCore                          0x99e4d291 ___Gestalt_SystemVersion_block_invoke + 135
16.12.2015. 18:26:04,340 SheepShaver[4351]: 1   libdispatch.dylib                   0x94e84430 _dispatch_client_callout + 50
16.12.2015. 18:26:04,340 SheepShaver[4351]: 2   libdispatch.dylib                   0x94e843b7 dispatch_once_f + 251
16.12.2015. 18:26:04,340 SheepShaver[4351]: 3   libdispatch.dylib                   0x94e84477 dispatch_once + 31
16.12.2015. 18:26:04,340 SheepShaver[4351]: 4   CarbonCore                          0x99dc669d _Gestalt_SystemVersion + 1050
16.12.2015. 18:26:04,340 SheepShaver[4351]: 5   CarbonCore                          0x99dc57c0 Gestalt + 150
16.12.2015. 18:26:04,340 SheepShaver[4351]: 6   SDL                                 0x000299ed SDL_SoftStretch + 14394
16.12.2015. 18:26:09,336 loginwindow[101]: ERROR | -[PersistentAppsSupport saveLogoutPersistentState:finalSnapshot:] | Attempt to insert app with NULL bundle ID

so far:
- 32 bits is checked. (it doesn't start at all when unchecked)
- deleted all prefs and started clean
- searched disks for sheepshaver stuff and deleted everything
- downloaded fresh copy (SheepShaver_UB_20140201)
- tried different ROMs
- tried COI but same hang on startup
- installed fresh 2.0.4. SDL (don't know if it matters)

Any advice?

Best regards,
Goran
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Sheepshaver won't start

Post by adespoton »

Do you have networking enabled? If so, does it work with networking disabled?

10.11 uses a new security model that needs to be temporarily disabled to properly install tun/tap. If you're attempting to use tuntaposx on an upgraded OS, it will fail, as will any software that depends upon it.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

SheepShaver Feb 2014 build uses SDL 1.2.15 and can only use that version. The SDL 1.2.15 framework is in included in the application package, so the newer version installed elsewhere should not matter.

If networking is not the issue (few people use the AppleTalk networking setup that adespoton is referring to), did you try deleting the ~/.sheepshaver_nvram file?
gorans
Inquisitive Elf

Post by gorans »

I don't use networking.

For nvram/prefs cleaning I also used sheepshaver scripts. However, after cleaning and run attempt, .sheepshaver_prefs is recreated but there is no .sheepshaver_nvram. I guess Sheepshaver dies before creating it.

Best regards,
Goran
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Try this modified SheepShaver build:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepsha ... er-id2.zip

(First delete again the prefs and nvram files. Remove the SDL framework that you installed. Make sure to use a ROM file that is known to be compatible and that is renamed "Mac OS ROM" without the quotation marks and without a file name extension.)
gorans
Inquisitive Elf

Post by gorans »

I deleted prefs and nvram, removed all SDL kexts from system, downloaded fresh newworld86.rom and linked sheepshaver.

All the same. Hangs with log:

20.12.2015. 11:57:28,257 SheepShaver[12291]: CPSGetCurrentProcess(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
20.12.2015. 11:57:28,257 SheepShaver[12291]: set_foreground_operation_state(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
20.12.2015. 11:57:28,357 SheepShaver[12291]: WARNING: The Gestalt selector gestaltSystemVersion is returning 10.9.5 instead of 10.10.5. Use NSProcessInfo's operatingSystemVersion property to get correct system version number.
Call location:
20.12.2015. 11:57:28,357 SheepShaver[12291]: 0   CarbonCore                          0x99e4d291 ___Gestalt_SystemVersion_block_invoke + 135
20.12.2015. 11:57:28,357 SheepShaver[12291]: 1   libdispatch.dylib                   0x94e84430 _dispatch_client_callout + 50
20.12.2015. 11:57:28,357 SheepShaver[12291]: 2   libdispatch.dylib                   0x94e843b7 dispatch_once_f + 251
20.12.2015. 11:57:28,357 SheepShaver[12291]: 3   libdispatch.dylib                   0x94e84477 dispatch_once + 31
20.12.2015. 11:57:28,357 SheepShaver[12291]: 4   CarbonCore                          0x99dc669d _Gestalt_SystemVersion + 1050
20.12.2015. 11:57:28,357 SheepShaver[12291]: 5   CarbonCore                          0x99dc57c0 Gestalt + 150
20.12.2015. 11:57:28,357 SheepShaver[12291]: 6   SDL                                 0x000299ed SDL_SoftStretch + 14394
Spinning beachball and high CPU usage (not responding).

Best regards,
Goran
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

gorans wrote:removed all SDL kexts
kexts? Don't you mean SDL.framework (or SDL2.framework)? Exactly what SDL did you instal?
downloaded fresh newworld86.rom
and renamed it "Mac OS ROM"?
and linked sheepshaver.
Linked? What do you mean?

I suppose you used the SheepShaver-id2 application I suggested, as the "NULL bundle ID" error is not displayed this time.
gorans
Inquisitive Elf

Post by gorans »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
gorans wrote:removed all SDL kexts
kexts? Don't you mean SDL.framework (or SDL2.framework)? Exactly what SDL did you instal?
downloaded fresh newworld86.rom
and renamed it "Mac OS ROM"?
and linked sheepshaver.
Linked? What do you mean?

I suppose you used the SheepShaver-id2 application I suggested, as the "NULL bundle ID" error is not displayed this time.
1. Yes, SDL frameworks. :)
2. If I just rename it "Mac OS ROM" (yes, no hidden extension or something) and place it in the same folder, sheepshaver doesn't start. I have to point to it in prefs. Then sheepshaver hangs
3. Yes, sheepshaver downloaded from the link in Your post (id2)

sorry for the lack of clarity. :)

Best regards,
Goran
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

This is all very strange. SheepShaver should run fine in 10.10.5. No one reported this issue before. Also weird that the ROM file needs to be pointed to in the settings (I suppose you used the old prefs editor to do that as you cannot access preferences from SheepShaver itself.)

Could there be third party software involved? Software that is supposed to protect against suspicious software? It is strange that an error was produced with the regular build because of the missing bundle ID. OSX itself has no problem running an application that has no bundle ID.

Please post the content of the prefs file here. Maybe there is something unusual in there.

(In Terminal open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs will open the prefs file in your default text editor, copy all content and paste it here.)

Edit: Are you sure the ROM file is OK? Where did you get it?
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
gorans
Inquisitive Elf

Post by gorans »

Preds:

extfs /
screen win/640/480
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala 
serialb /dev/null
rom /Volumes/BigX/gogo/Desktop/Emulacija/mac/SheepShaver_UB_20140201/newworld86.rom
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 16777216
frameskip 8
gfxaccel false
nocdrom true
nonet false
nosound true
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
ether 
keycodes false
keycodefile 
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
I got the ROM from that Redundant Robot site.

I have no antivirus or similar programs installed. Disk structure and permissions are checked. I don't know what else to check.

Best regards,
Goran
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Are these all your prefs? I see no disks. Did you create one, and from what CD image are you trying to boot?

Disk entries should look something like:
disk /Volumes/BigX/gogo/Desktop/Emulacija/mac/SheepShaver_UB_20140201/MacOS9.iso
disk /Volumes/BigX/gogo/Desktop/Emulacija/mac/SheepShaver_UB_20140201/HD_1000

Please note that SheepShaver would start from the first disk listed.

Best,
Cat_7
gorans
Inquisitive Elf

Post by gorans »

I have several disk images that I used previously with sheepshaver and/or basilisk. No matter which one I attach it's still the same.
With no disks I should see blinking questionmark disk, right?

Prefs with disk attached:

disk /Volumes/BigX/gogo/Desktop/Emulacija/mac/OS9BOOT.dsk
extfs /
screen win/640/480
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala 
serialb /dev/null
rom /Volumes/BigX/gogo/Desktop/Emulacija/mac/SheepShaver_UB_20140201/newworld86.rom
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 16777216
frameskip 8
gfxaccel false
nocdrom true
nonet false
nosound true
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
ether 
keycodes false
keycodefile 
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
Best regards,
Goran
Po Lu
Student Driver

Post by Po Lu »

Hi, My opinion is:
  • Stop using Yosmite or anything later. OS X is gettig more like trash. I never install OS X Yosmite +.
Also, does it run without an disk? If it does, then I don't know. Should be compaterbility reasons with Yosmite. Try running with a compaterbility manager.
My forums:
oldosfan.freeforums.net
polu.boards.net
Join please!
iThank you, steven p. jobs."
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

At this point, I'm curious: if you install Mavericks in VirtualBox or another VM, and copy your configuration over, does it start running again?

Even before that: if you create a new user in Yosemite and launch it from there, does it work?

There's enough of us that have had 0 problems with Yosemite and only the security-related issue with El Capitan that I'm starting to think that the issue lies with a bad interaction between SheepShaver and something else you've got set up.

All that said: this does appear to be an SDL issue from those logs.

Are you running SDL via Homebrew or MacPorts? Maybe it's attempting to load the wrong version...?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The discussion got polluted with various additional suppositions.

There are no disks yet because the prefs file was deleted. First we need to get SheepShaver start again at all with only the rom file. It worked in Mavericks, but somehow it stopped working in Yosemite. That is strange. Many run SheepShaver in Yosemite without problems. El Capitan is not in the picture here.

I notice a very weird full path to the rom file. Why does it start with "Volumes"? How did you set up SheepShaver and where? And is that on a different volume than your OSX system? And why a full path? Do you want (or need) to launch SheepShaver as root?

If you want to point SheepShaver to the rom file, you only need to put the rom file in the same folder with the SheepShaver application and either rename it "Mac OS ROM" or add its name in prefs. With the rom file named "newworld86.rom" the line in prefs should then read:

rom newworld86.rom
nothing more.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason:  
gorans
Inquisitive Elf

Post by gorans »

I have 120GB SSD with OS X and i have my user folder on 1TB HD. I think that's why path starts with /Volumes.

I don't want or need to run Sheepshaver as root.

If I change rom prefs as You suggested, id2 version just quits, normal version hangs.
Same thing happens if I change the path to ~/Desktop/Emulacija/mac/SheepShaver_UB_20140201/newworld86.rom

I copied the whole /Emulacija/mac/ folder to another users desktop and I can confirm that it launches OK if I point prefs to the right ROM. That users home folder is on the system disk so paths are /Users/...

Best regards,
Goran
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

gorans wrote:I have 120GB SSD with OS X and i have my user folder on 1TB HD. I think that's why path starts with /Volumes.
Maybe you did not have the prefs editor in the same folder with SheepShaver and the rom file.

Your setup is not standard. Maybe Yosemite is more picky about where an application like SheepShaver resides. Do other applications run when located somewhere in your home folder? Have you tried installing SheepShaver plus rom file in the Applications folder? If that works, you could probably still have other related things, like disk images and shared folder in your home folder.

(If that works, better use SheepShaver itself to edit the prefs instead of the old prefs editor.)
gorans
Inquisitive Elf

Post by gorans »

OK, I copied the same folder to my Applications folder on SSD. Fresh prefs and nvram. Sheepshaver still hangs.

Prefs editor is in the same folder and I don't have any disk images set yet.

Prefs:

extfs /
screen win/640/480
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala 
serialb /dev/null
rom /Applications/mac/SheepShaver_UB_20140201/newworld86.rom
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 16777216
frameskip 8
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
ether 
keycodes false
keycodefile 
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv false
idlewait true
Is there a way to see more details about Sheepshaver crash or what can interfere with startup?

I want to thank You for Your time and effort to solve this.

Best regards,
Goran
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

You can go into Terminal and run SheepShaver.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaver -- I'm getting non-useful error codes when I get this with bad configurations though.
gorans
Inquisitive Elf

Post by gorans »

adespoton wrote:You can go into Terminal and run SheepShaver.app/Contents/MacOS/SheepShaver -- I'm getting non-useful error codes when I get this with bad configurations though.
I only get "Killed: 9" and nothing with "sudo Sheepshaver.app/Cont..."
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

This is all very strange. I still wonder if additional software could be interfering.

Try safe startup (while shift key pressed) followed by a safe login (again while shift key pressed). Does SheepShaver run now?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

There is one previous mention of the killed: 9 issue. It seemed related to the rom file.

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... A+9#p50582

Best,
Cat_7
gorans
Inquisitive Elf

Post by gorans »

I'm giving up.

I tried couple of ROMs. With wrong ones Sheepshaver quits immediately. With right ones it hangs with spinning beach ball.

I tried couple of Sheepshaver versions with id2 as newest one. No luck.

I cannot find any more debugging info to supply.

If any of You think of anything new, I'll be happy to try.

Best regards,
Goran
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I will try a new approach, hold on.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Let us try a setup with a SheepShaver self-contained virtual machine. Are you familiar with SheepShaver VM? The setup is also explained in the SheepShaver setup manual.

A SheepShaver VM is a package with extension .sheepvm that contains at least a rom file, a "prefs" file and a "nvram" file. The VM will launch SheepShaver when opened (double clicked) and will use the files inside. It does not use the hidden prefs and nvram files in the user's home folder.

I will provide a fresh virgin VM. It contains only a compatible new world rom file named "Mac OS ROM" and an empty "prefs" file. When started, SheepShaver will create a nvram file inside and when the built-in prefs editor in SheepShaver is used, it will write to the "prefs" file inside.

This way we can be sure that no rom file issues are involved, no configuration errors are involved and no possible issue with the hidden prefs and nvram files residing in a user home folder on an a different volume.

Do this:

Delete all instances of the SheepShaver application from any of your disks.

Download and unpack the februari 2014 SheepShaver build:
http://ronaldpr.home.xs4all.nl/sheepsha ... 140201.zip

Install it in the /Applications folder. Install it bare, without enclosing folder and associated files. Make sure it is set to launch in 32-bit mode. If this setup works, you will never need to access the SheepShaver application directly.

Download and unpack the virgin VM:
http://ronaldpr.home.xs4all.nl/sheepsha ... heepvm.zip

Note that it carries the SheepShaver icon. You can place it anywhere it is convenient.

(For first launch you may need to temporarily allow apps downloaded from "Anywhere" in "Security & Privacy" System Preferences.)

Double-click the VM. It should start SheepShaver in default mode (small window and floppy icon with blinking question mark).

If it doesn't work, then I have no more ideas. There must be something unusual about your system.

If it works, you can open SheepShaver preferences and configure your setup.
(The older stand-alone prefs editor is of no use here, as it edits the hidden prefs file that SheepShaver does not use in this setup.)

Note that "browsing" will default to inside the VM package as initial location.

- You can add the internal "Mac OS ROM" file or leave the "ROM File" box empty.
- In the Volumes list you can add the volumes you used with SheepShaver before, preferably with the boot volume as first item in the list.

For all other settings, follow the instructions in the setup guide:
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... heepshaver