Error at line 1622 (type -1856, code -43)

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

cwestbrook
Space Cadet

Error at line 1622 (type -1856, code -43)

Post by cwestbrook »

I updated SheepShaver in order to play an old video game, Titanic: Adventure Out of Time. I have a MacBook Air 2013 running Yosemite. Installation went fine; I converted the disk image to a .cdr and am able to mount it on the desktop. However, when I click on the install icon, I get a white screen with the message "Sorry! Error at line 1866 (type -1856, code -43). Click OK to return to Finder."

Googling has not been elucidative on this particular error code. I'm sure this is the Mac version of this game; beyond that I'm kind of stumped. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Error at line 1622 (type -1856, code -43)

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I deleted my previous reply. I was just out of bed and not really awake yet.

I understand that you have a working SheepShaver setup.
Which MacOS does it run?
What do you mean with "I updated SheepShaver"?

Which version of the game do you use and is it 68k or PPC?

I am not sure what you mean with "I converted the disk image to a .cdr". Which disk image, where did you get it, and why did you convert it? Or do you have the original CD of the game and did you create a .cdr image from that CD-ROM?

You mounted the CD image on the MacOS desktop inside SheepShaver? How did you do that?

Error code -43 (at least in MacOS) means "File not found; Folder not found; Edition container not found; Target not found". Seems to suggest that something that the installer expects to be present is missing.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

The Macintoshgarden site says this game runs in BasiliskII.

Edit: I tried and the installer crashed. There is a patch for cd read errors available at the macintoshgarden site, but that only works after the installation has finished ;-)
Perhaps you need an additional cdrom driver to read these CDs

Best,
Cat_7
Last edited by Cat_7 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
desgroup
Space Cadet

Post by desgroup »

Hey! I'm having this problem too! Sheepshaver is running on OS X Yosemite in my case. I loaded my CD into sheepshaver running System 9.0.0 and sheepshaver could not recognize the disk. "This disk could not be read." So, I went to disk utility, File -> New -> New Image from Titanic1 (where Titanic1 is the disk inserted) and created a cdr file with the read-only and compressions settings off.

Now, after I add the .cdr file to the volumes, voila! It has been recognized! I had no problems until I tried to run the application. The application reported: "Sorry! Error at line 1622 (type -1856, code -43). Click OK to return to Finder."

Thankfully, the manual had SOME insight into the problem. Nothing useful, though. Here is what it says:

Problem: After starting, I get an error at line 1622:
Solution 1: Check that you have the extension Sound Manager 3.1 or greater and System 7.1 or greater. This software is available from your Apple dealer or on a newer copy of the Apple System Software.
Solution 2: Check to see whether you are running applications or extensions that play sounds, such as fax, e-mail, or screen saver software. Disable these extensions because they may be using up sound channels.
Solution 3: Sometimes changing the System Alert sound in the Sound Control Panel and the running TITANIC will fix the problem.
Solution 4: Lastly, try giving the System more RAM by reducing TITANIC's preferred memory requirements in the Finder. This makes sure that the System has enough room to allocate a new sound channel.

Since I have System 9.0 installed, I ignored the first solution. I made sure that there was nothing running in the background. The install is mostly fresh, and I have not started any other applications. I screwed around with some System Alert sounds, removing and adding random ones, but nothing changed. I also ignored the last solution since I have 512 MB allocated, 32 times the recommended memory allocation for this game.

You mentioned that the error code -43 means "file not found". The game requires you to put the disc in the computer's drive, and since I added the image as a volume without specifying it as a disc, could it be having trouble finding its files? Is there a way to mount a cd image as a disc drive?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

1. The game should run with the .cdr volume mounted. It may be necessary to lock the .cdr file in the OSX Finder (in the Finder Info panel for the file) to make it appear as a read-only volume.

2. The game will not run correctly with later QuickTime versions, like the one installed with MacOS 9. It needs QuickTime 3 that is part of the game's installation.
Downgrading QuickTime cannot be done by simply installing the older version over the newer one.

- In MacOS 9, remove everything from the Extensions folder and from the Control Panels folder that has "QuickTime" in its name, as well as SoundSprocketLib, SoundSprocketFilter, and Sound Manager.
- Quit SheepShaver and start it again.
- Then (re)install Starship Titanic and with it the custom installation of all QuickTime 3 files allowing newer files to be replaced by the older ones.
- Again shut down SheepShaver and start it again.
IPJ126
Inquisitive Elf

Post by IPJ126 »

I don't know if this will help, I have Titanic adventure out of time installed on Mac os 9 Sheepshaver.
It works perfectly except for some very light stutter during the video parts. I think you need to change the file extension from cdr to iso after you mount it, that's what I did. Then it should work fine. I hope. That's how I did it successfully on Sheepshaver os 9.
By the way, I'm using Mac OS X El Capitan. Don't know if that makes a difference.
Hope this helps!
TKAussie
Space Cadet

Post by TKAussie »

This thread is a few years old now but I thought I'd share my experience getting this game to work.

I have used Sheepshaver through several versions of OSX (Yosemite to Catalina) and haven't had any issues to get the game to work once OS9 is up and running. I'm sure I use to be able to run it from the CD-ROM - but made .cdr images some time ago and have used these since.

Recently, I upgraded to Big Sur and have had some challenges getting the game to work.

The suggestions in this thread didn't help too much - but this is what I found to work when the application reported: "Sorry! Error at line 1622 (type -1856, code -43). Click OK to return to Finder."

1. From OS11 > Ensure SheepShaver has 'Full Disk Access' in 'System Preferences' > 'Security & Privacy'. I saw this in a video from YouTube when I couldn't work why the OS9 hard drive reported the message "Diskette is Write Protected". This is the hard drive 'initialised' when first setup.

2. From the OS9 'Control Panels' > Select 'Built-in' for 'Output' in the 'Sound' setting > and increase 'Volume' bar to maximum. I couldn't seem to adjust the sound from the access bar on the desktop. It seemed to be struck/ remain in the low position despite adjusting it with the mouse.

From here, the game worked again. Also note, as I'm running the game from the .cdr mounted - the 'INSTALL_MAC' folder needs to be copied to the OS9 hard drive.

OS11 Big Sur no longer seems to mount/ recognise CD-ROMs in Finder using the Apple USB SuperDrive. It does show as connected in 'System Preferences' and 'Disk Utility'. I also tried to recreate the .cdr/ disk image process in Disk Utility - however the operation failed reporting 'Operation not permitted'. I'm not sure what the issue is with mounting CD-ROM and creating disk images in Big Sur.

I also have the 'James Cameron's Titanic Explorer' which I use to be able to use on SheepShaver from the CD-ROM. However, I don't think I will be able to use this again with no solution to the above issue. It's a 3-disk CD set - and I think I had issues making a disk image/ .cdr years ago so I relied on the CD-ROM. The only other requirement was to have the 'extended' version of SheepShaver when initialising at setup.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

TKAussie wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:50 amOS11 Big Sur no longer seems to mount/ recognise CD-ROMs in Finder using the Apple USB SuperDrive. It does show as connected in 'System Preferences' and 'Disk Utility'. I also tried to recreate the .cdr/ disk image process in Disk Utility - however the operation failed reporting 'Operation not permitted'. I'm not sure what the issue is with mounting CD-ROM and creating disk images in Big Sur.
This is so for all HFS (not HFS+) disks since Catalina. Apple decided to not support reading HFS volumes any longer. A workaround for creating a disk image from the HFS volume on the CD in Catalina is here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10709
It will probably also work in Big Sur. The result is not a full copy of the CD, only a copy of the HFS partition.