Warning : SheepShaver versus Chubby Bunny

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

TiddK
Granny Smith

Warning : SheepShaver versus Chubby Bunny

Post by TiddK »

Don't use both!

I had SheepShaver running quite nicely in Snow Leopard, OS 8.6 and all my archive documents, apps, folders and games.

Then I had the idea to see if running OS 9.0.4 would give me more options (like the old Classic in Tiger) so I downloaded Chubby Bunny and (this bit was very easy) ran it. I decided I might indeed use it but as a longer term project and meanwhile went back to SheepShaver...

Aaaargh! OS 9.0.4 launched and none of my stuff was there - it was as if I'd launched Chubby Bunny again (which also contains the SheepShaver app).

Eventually after much agonising, I restored two invisible files - .sheepshaver_nvram and .sheepshaver_prefs using Time Machine, and all my stuff was back.

Bottom line : unless you intend to keep duplicate sets of these two invisibles, and remember which you need when running which emulator, then running both emulators (i.e. two SheepShavers) will bring nothing but heartache.

P.S. How easy would it be to upgrade to 9.0.4 in SheepShaver, i.e., where can I get OS 9 from?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Warning : SheepShaver versus Chubby Bunny

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

To be able to answer questions about Chubby Bunny, I need to run it once in a while. As you have noticed, Chubby Bunny will overwrite your .sheepshaver_prefs file with its preconfigured settings each time it is launched. I keep a text copy of my prefs file and a visible alias of the invisible .sheepshaver_prefs file to be able to quickly copy and paste my normal SheepShaver settings back after running Chubby Bunny.

You can get the 9.0.4 system disk image out of Chubby Bunny for use in a regular SheepShaver setup:

- Right-click (or control-click) on the 'COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny"' icon in the Finder.
- Choose "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu.
..... You will now see a Finder window containing a file "COI" (which is really a package) and a folder "Contents".
- Launch Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities/).
- At the prompt in Terminal type

Code: Select all

cd
and a space (do not forget the space and do not yet hit return!).
- Drag the COI icon from the Finder into the Terminal window.
..... The path to the COI package will appear after cd.
- With the Terminal window in front, hit return.
- Then, at the new prompt, type in Terminal:

Code: Select all

cp .Classic.dmg ~/Desktop/MacOS9.dsk
followed by a return.
..... A copy of the COI startup disk image will appear on your desktop with the name "MacOS9.dsk".
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Something I started doing immediately after the feature was available (before that I had a script that worked kind of like CB), was to install all my OSes in SheepVM bundles. That way, all the files are in one place, and nothing else is going to overwrite them. This way I'm actually able to run every major PPC MacOS release from 7.1.2 through 9.0.4 at the same time :)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Yes. Next to the 'classic' setup, mostly for testing because it is the setup that most users use, I also have six .sheepvm virtual machines, five with regular MacOS (7.5.5, 8.1, 8.5.1, 8.6, 9.0.4) and one nostalgic setup with the original software that came in 1995 with my Performa 5300CD.
Instructions in the setup guide here: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... l_machines
TiddK
Granny Smith

Post by TiddK »

Thanks both. I actually have System 7.5 in Basilisk, and OS 8.6 in SS. I will either upgrade 8.6 to 9.0.4 or look at the business of creating multiple vm's.