SheepShaver performance

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Jerzu

SheepShaver performance

Post by Jerzu »

Hello!

First of all I wanna say that SheepShaver is really a great piece of code. I never imagined anyone would be willing/able to code a real PowerMac emulator. Nonetheles, I have little performance problems with it.
On my Duron 1.3 it is pretty slow, but generally usable. However, sometimes the emulator freezes for a few seconds. Host CPU consumption is still 100%, but you can't do anything (within emulator, that is).
There are also some problems with mouse input (probably for the same reason) - sometimes you need to click several times before a button is pressed down or a folder opened.
It looks as if the mouse input thread (provided SheepShaver is written in multithreaded manner) was starved by CPU emulation thread ot JIT thread... I think so, because Basilisk II was multithreaded in Windows and you could play with thread priorities with good results.

Jerzu
MiLToS_666
Inquisitive Elf

Post by MiLToS_666 »

Hello,

I am having the exact same issues as you, I am using Mac OS 8.1 and I get that annoying things every time! But I'm happy to see it boot!
By the way, what is a good option for "Window Refresh Rate"?
I've put it on 30Hz but don't know if that's ok.

Oh, my PC is an overclocked PentiumIII 600@800MHz with 512 SDRAM!
:D :) 8O :lol: :P :oops: :wink:

Take care,

MiLToS_666
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

The Cat says:

"With "Window Refresh Rate" you can set the refresh rate of the MacOS window. Higher rates mean faster screen updates and less "sluggish" behaviour, but also require more CPU time."

So, yeah, experiment with that in mind?
Cat_7
Expert User

sheepshaver speed and screen

Post by Cat_7 »

Hello, It seems that is exactly what the cat would say....

Setting the refresh rate to 60 would make the system more responsive, but would cost extra load (not that that's possible if you are at 100 percent already...)

You could also disable sound and ethernet.

Even so, my PIV at 1.7 Ghz is also sluggish.

Best

Cat_7
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Thanks, The Cat.

My 1000 mhz thing is slug-slug-slugish also.