Mounting a game, newbie needs help!

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

jsippycup
Space Cadet

Mounting a game, newbie needs help!

Post by jsippycup »

This is my first time trying to use emulation so I apologize for lack of general knowledge. I was able to download SheepShaver_UB_20140201 and get it running using newworld86 rom and Mac OS 9, both from redundant robot. Once I got OS9 up and running I downloaded a 1995 game (Frankenstein starring Tim Curry, awesome) which came in as a .sit file. I used Unarchiver to get a .toast file which I opened up in OS X to get an "Install Frankenstein" file. I put that in my "Shared" folder in OS X and then transferred it to a different drive (MacOS9HD) in my emulator. There I was able to install it! I've come so far! Unfortunately, when I try to run the game I immediately get a "Unable to find the Frankenstein CD. Please insert and try again" message followed by "There is a problem reading the CD. Check to make sure the CD-ROM is properly installed and restart the program." I have added Frankenstein.toast to my volume list in the preferences, but that doesn't seem to do anything (the file doesn't show up in OS 9 at any rate). Also, this may or may not be related but my Unix folder in OS9 (linked to my "Shared" folder on my desktop in OSX) has disappeared! This happened previously and I started the whole process of installing sheepshaver over to get it back, but I don't want to start from scratch every time.

Sorry for the noob question, I've been scouring the forums (which have been very helpful!) but I think it's time for me to just ask for help directly. Thank you!!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Mounting a game, newbie needs help!

Post by adespoton »

Put the toast file in your shared folder, and copy it through. Then use an old version of Toast to mount it inside the emulator. There's also another piece of software mentioned somewhere in these discussion threads that will do the job if you don't have access to Toast.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Mounting a game, newbie needs help!

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You can try the suggestion by adespoton, but it should not be needed. Toast image files should be mounted fine in SheepShaver by adding them to the volumes list.

Note that SheepShaver only reads the preferences settings when it is launched. So after a change in preferences, you need to quit SheepShaver and launch it again. Did you do that? The .toast image volume should appear on the OS9 desktop the first time you launch SheepShaver after adding the image file to the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences. The same is true for the "Unix" volume. Make sure the path to the shared folder is correctly entered in preferences and then quit SheepShaver and launch it again.