error when loading binaries

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Stephen Coates
Expert User

error when loading binaries

Post by Stephen Coates »

Whenever i load sheepshaver by clicking on it's icon, it doesn't load. So I decided to run it in the terminal.
I went into /usr/bin where it is installed and typed ./SheepShaver and this is the output:

Code: Select all

./SheepShaver: error in loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Does anyone know whats wrong?
Do I need to download something from the internet? if so, what is it and where do i get it?

thanks
stephen

PentiumIII 500mhz
64mb ram
Dragon Linux v2r1
Cat_7
Expert User

Binary needed

Post by Cat_7 »

Hello

I think you need to install the C++ library

download it here: http://at.rpmfind.net/opsys/linux/RPM/l ... .so.5.html

Maybe you didn't install the development packages for your distribution?

best

Cat_7
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

Did you manage to compile Sheepshaver? If so, then you shouldn't be missing any of the development packages. If they are missing, problem solved, but if not, this is a common problem with this library, as the libstdc++.so.5 library files are installed in /usr/local/lib, but the system will only seach /usr/lib.

You can fix this by creating symbolic links to make the libraries appear in the old folder thus:

ln -s /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so.5 /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5
ln -s /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1

See if this helps.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

I should have installed all the development packages. I ticked development in in linux setup programme.

How do I install the RPM that you told me to download?
If I right click it in GNOME and click install, where does it install to?

thanks
stephen
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

I seem to be getting a bit further with this now. Now it says my libgcc_s.so.1 is missing, even though i created the symbolic link. So i'll try and find that now.
Don't worry about the installing thing that i mentioned in my last post. I just copied the content on the rpm to the correct directory on my hard disk.
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

You can install the rpm by using:

rpm -ivh gcc-3.2.2-5.src.rpm

I don't know which distribution Dragon Linux is based on, I have shown the rpm for RH 9, so you need to substitute whichever rpm name you are using.

It's probably better to install the rpm rather than just copy the files in case there is anything that the install does that you haven't done.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

right. I will try installing it that way when i can get my mouse pointer to appear on my screen in linux. It seems like alot of those packages wern't already installed, so i downloaded them.