SheepShaver Can't Open the Old World ROM from RedundantRobot

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

philthethrill
Space Cadet

SheepShaver Can't Open the Old World ROM from RedundantRobot

Post by philthethrill »

I'm trying to set up SheepShaver. It keeps saying cannot open ROM file. I have tried using the Old World Rom from redundantrobot, but it doesn't work. I even tried renaming it to MAC_OS_ROM, but it still doesn't work. I'm trying to get the Old World Rom to work because I'm going to be using System 7 from Basilisk II.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: SheepShaver Can't Open the Old World ROM from RedundantR

Post by adespoton »

In your SheepShaver prefs, you need to ensure the ROM file is named exactly the way the file in your sheepshaver folder is named. By default this is “Mac OS ROM” (without the quotation marks and without a file name extension). Ensure that your ROM file has no file name extension, and no underscores.
philthethrill
Space Cadet

Post by philthethrill »

Thanks adespoton. It worked. I now have another problem. I'm using the latest version of SheepShaver because I'm trying to play an old MAC game from 1999. It worked for a while, but now everytime I insert the CD and start SheepShaver, my computer screen turns purple and it says: Your computer has encountered an error and needs to restart. When it restarts look up the error Memory Management. It's happened 2 times in a row already. What should I do?
philthethrill
Space Cadet

Post by philthethrill »

I managed to get the game to work. The trick is to put the CD into the CD drive after loading SheepShaver. I encountered an error though while playing the game. It said: "Runtime Error! Program: C:\Users\philthethrill\Downloads\SheepShaver_01-03-2015\SheepShaver.exe This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."