Can't figure out how to mount a disc in volumes

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

jabba60000
Space Cadet

Can't figure out how to mount a disc in volumes

Post by jabba60000 »

I am brand new to sheep shaver and am unsure how to get it to play a game. I have read through the setup guides and think I am doing it right but it is still not working. I am running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.1 on a 2015 iMac. I have Sheep Shaver running from COIV4.0.1. It opens and runs OS 9 just fine and all the pre installed applications like word perfect work. I have a shared folder on Mac OS X which opens in OS 9 under the name Unix.

My issue is that I am trying to mount a disk image to the volumes folder under preferences in sheep shaver like the guides say but the image does not stay in the volumes when I restart sheep shaver. I am opening preferences in sheep shaver and clicking the add button, then navigating to the image, then clicking save. I shut down sheep shaver and when I open it again, the disc is not on the desktop like it is supposed to be. If I look in preferences again, it is gone from the volume list. Why is it not staying? I don't know enough about this program to figure out if I am even doing it right. The image is a disc image made using OS X disc utility in the .cdr format. I have also tried a .iso version I downloaded with the same results. Help!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Can't figure out how to mount a disc in volumes

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

jabba60000 wrote:My issue is that I am trying to mount a disk image to the volumes folder under preferences in sheep shaver like the guides say but the image does not stay in the volumes when I restart sheep shaver.
The setup guide is for a regular SheepShaver setup. Most things described there will not work in COI because COI will overwrite the prefs settings with its own values each time it is launched. You can mount a disk image in COI by adding it to the /Users/Shared/ folder and renaming it to one of the three default names that COI will recognize: 400Meg.dmg, 800Meg.dmg, or 1200Meg.dmg.
jabba60000
Space Cadet

Post by jabba60000 »

So how would I mount a CD image then to install a game? Change the name of the file to one of those mentioned? Would that work?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

It will probably work. Better is to set up a regular SheepShaver.

Transferring a COI setup to a regular setup is discussed here:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 311#p49311

In macOS Sierra you will need to do some fiddling with the newly downloaded SheepShaver application before it will run. Described here:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... 436#p54436
jabba60000
Space Cadet

Post by jabba60000 »

I guess I would just like to figure out how to install a game in COI without messing with switching over to the newer sheepshaver. I have my 1200meg drive mounted and I can get files from OSX into OS9 through the unix folder. I just don't know how to run the CD for my game that I'm trying to install. There has to be a way to do this in COI otherwise it's pretty much useless except for the preinstalled stuff.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

If you really want to stick with a not recommended build, I would proceed like this:
DL one of the big images here: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/disk-images-emulators
Expand the file and rename it to one of the default images title Ronald named.
Initialize your new big HDD when requested.
Copy over the Toast/ISO image to your e.g. 30GB image.
Finally mount the Toast/ISO with http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/virtual ... cd-utility and install the game from CD.
Good luck!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

This site supports pure SheepShaver; it is, in the long run, much simpler to use and more versatile than the COI builds. Follow the instructions on the Wiki to get a copy set up for you :)
jabba60000
Space Cadet

Post by jabba60000 »

thank you! I was able to get the CDs to work using the virtual CD utility!