SheepShaver on Windows via coLinux

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

trexplorer

Post by trexplorer »

Need help with the following:

1) In the coLInux setup guide it says "before running the command "nano -w nano -w vim /root/.vnc/xstartup" in the get x working section run "vncserver" this generates the file you will edit ". After doing the preceeding I do Not get an editable file .... ?

2) Guide says "in colinux vncserver -kill :1". I've tried the "-kill :1" command in both colinux window and the vncserver window - says command is not recognized ?

Will the above impede installation ? ... Help appreciated.
trexplorer

Error When Typing "make"

Post by trexplorer »

I get the following error when compiling .... help appreciated

Configuration done. Now type "make".
bash-2.05b# make
g++ -o SheepShaver obj/main_unix.o obj/prefs.o obj/prefs_items.o obj/prefs_unix.o obj/sys_unix.o obj/rom_patches.o obj/rsrc_patches.o obj/emul_op.o obj/name_registry.o obj/macos_util.o obj/timer.o obj/timer_unix.o obj/xpram.o obj/xpram_unix.o obj/adb.o obj/clip_unix.o obj/sony.o obj/disk.o obj/cdrom.o obj/scsi.o obj/video.o obj/video_blit.o obj/video_x.o obj/audio.o obj/ether.o obj/thunks.o obj/serial.o obj/extfs.o obj/extfs_unix.o obj/about_window_unix.o obj/user_strings.o obj/user_strings_unix.o obj/vm_alloc.o obj/sigsegv.o obj/sshpty.o obj/strlcpy.o obj/serial_unix.o obj/ether_linux.o obj/scsi_linux.o obj/audio_oss_esd.o obj/prefs_editor_gtk.o obj/jit-cache.o obj/basic-dyngen.o obj/ppc-dyngen.o obj/ppc-cpu.o obj/ppc-decode.o obj/ppc-execute.o obj/ppc-translate.o obj/sheepshaver_glue.o -lrt -lpthread -lSM -lICE -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lXext -lXxf86dga -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm -L/usr/lib -lesd -laudiofile -lm
obj/sheepshaver_glue.o(.text+0xe80): In function `sigsegv_handler':
../kpx_cpu/sheepshaver_glue.cpp:861: undefined reference to `Screen_fault_handler(char*, char*)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [SheepShaver] Error 1
trexplorer

Tips

Post by trexplorer »

Solved the preceeding problems by:

1) Manually navigate to the ".vnc" directory and opening xstartup from within nano.

2) Don't type "make" until after applying the patch. Say "yes" when applying patch. Applying patch gives some errors, but "make" now works and SheepShaver compiles. If you type make before applying the patch, need to delete SheepShaver directory (rm -rd SheepShaver) and download SheepShaver again.

3) For those having problems with networking, I suggest using bridged connections per the WinXP explanation in the setup guide. If by chance you have McAfee Virus Scan installed, you will also need to "repair" your connection after installing the TAP-Win32 and the bridge. Do this by going to remove programs under WinXP and select McAfee. Then choose the "change" and then "repair" option. You may have to reboot, but connections will work after this.
Trombone Bob
Tinkerer

Post by Trombone Bob »

trexplorer wrote:Need help with the following:

1) In the coLInux setup guide it says "before running the command "nano -w nano -w vim /root/.vnc/xstartup" in the get x working section run "vncserver" this generates the file you will edit ". After doing the preceeding I do Not get an editable file .... ?

2) Guide says "in colinux vncserver -kill :1". I've tried the "-kill :1" command in both colinux window and the vncserver window - says command is not recognized ?

Will the above impede installation ? ... Help appreciated.
1st In coLinux "emerge tightvnc" you will be prompted to enter a password this can be anything but for this walkthrough its "gentoo"
2nd run command "vncserver"
3rd. now run command "nano -w vim /root/.vnc/xstartup" change the last line by removing the "twm &" and typing "startxfce4" "ctrl o" "enter" "ctrl x"
Once you get a X session running then you can use the kill command to stop the X session
trexplorer

Post by trexplorer »

1) What is the proper way to terminate colinux before closing the window (i.e., no data loss or corruption). Every time I restart to console, things seem broken and I usually end up reinstalling everything.

2) Mention is made of updates to config files during gentoo install - I am unsure how to install these.

Thanks Again.
trexplorer

Post by trexplorer »

Discoverred the following:

1) Update portage by typing "emerge portage" (after the "emerge sync" command).
2) then, config file updates can be made by typing "etc-update"

Post by Guest »

I get the following error when I try to compile SheepShaver:

In file included from ../kpx_cpu/src/cpu/ppc/ppc-dyngen.cpp:31:
ppc-dyngen-ops.hpp: In member function `void
powerpc_dyngen::gen_op_fnabs_FD_F0()':
ppc-dyngen-ops.hpp:9087: error: parse error before `)' token
make: *** [obj/ppc-dyngen.o] Error 1

Anyone know whats up?

Post by Guest »

Nevermind... I got Sheep to compile by *NOT* applying the patch.. I just ran "make links", then the augogen.sh, then make.. It runs now.

Not sure what the patch was supposed to do but apparently it's not mandatory
Meklort

Post by Meklort »

Trombone Bob wrote:Well-- I would like to but my 2gig Gentoo only zips down to about 270mb... so if anybody knows where someone could upload a file that big for free that would be great.
I can host your file,
the web adress for people to get it will be
http://meklort.isa-geek.com/sheapshaver

to upload the file you can go to

ftp://sheapshaver:sheapshaver@meklort.isa-geek.com

you will not be able to delet anything, just ask me and i will, you will only be able to uplad things

Post by Guest »

Just an update on this for those who are trying to run SS on colinux:

Since most instructions on how to do this were written before the feb/may releases of sheepshaver, some of it is out of date:

For this to work, you must download the *January* release of sheepshaver.. and apply the x86 and ehternet patches talked about in this and other threads... The newer versions of SS crash with JIT enabled and otherwise do not have the workable patch.
Meklort
Student Driver

Post by Meklort »

Finaly got it to work :) just had to reinstall everything
Cyman
Tinkerer

Post by Cyman »

Since coLinux 0.6 didn't run but crash my PC all the time, I installed the latest coLinux version (0.61) to give it another try. Now, when clicking the shortcut, the prompt window appears and disappears immediately and nothing happens. What's wrong? I just want to get coLinux to run - why doesn't it just work?!
Trombone Bob
Tinkerer

Post by Trombone Bob »

In the new version there is a bug requiring you to specify a config file so I created a shortcut with the target being I:\coLinux\colinux-daemon.exe -c default.colinux.xml -t nt This lets me run colinux also you need to be an administrator to run colinux
Trombone Bob
Tinkerer

Post by Trombone Bob »

Here are some updated instructions written by Trexplorer for running SheepShaver under colinux:

Code: Select all

Prep for Install															24 May-04
Please note that much of the following was based on the guide written by Trombone Bob at http://www.emaculation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=917.  I also assume that you have a "winrar" installed for decompressing files.  My configuration included several computers connected via hardware router on a fixed IP's running Windows XP.  Items in bold can be copy/pasted into your browser or the coLinux console, speeding things up.
1)  It might help if you read CoLinux Quick Start Guide at http://www.colinux.org/wiki/index.php/GentooQuickStart.
2)  Start by Downloading the following files:
CoLinux-0.6.0.exe at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=98788 (this is the environment that allows Gentoo Linux run concurrently with Windows XP)
VNC at http://www.realvnc.com/download.html (this is a viewer for X in Windows XP and where you'll eventually see SheepShaver run)
CoLinux hard file distribution at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=98788 (choose the "2g" hard file image)
Swap file image at http://gniarf.nerim.net/colinux/swap (choose the 512k hard file image)
When you extract the hardfile images with winrar they will actually become the size of a 2GB and 512k hardfile images so make sure you have enough disk space.
3)  Run coLinux Setup and extract the 2GB and 512k hardfile images to the same directory.
4)  Replace the "default.colinux.xml" image installed in your CoLinux folder with the attached.  Edit the attached XML file so that directories match location of Hardfile images on files on your windows hard disk.  In my installation, "d:\colinux" is the installed directory on my hard disk while "f:" is my CD drive.  You could also change the RAM to 128 of you don't have very much memory in your PC.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<colinux>
    <block_device index="0" path="\DosDevices\d:\colinux\gentoo-i586-ext3-2g-deluxe" enabled="true">
    </block_device>
    <block_device index="1" path="\DosDevices\d:\colinux\swap_512Mb" enabled="true">
    </block_device>
    <block_device index="2" path="\DosDevices\f:" enabled="true">
    </block_device>
    <bootparams>root=/dev/cobd0</bootparams>
    <image path="vmlinux"></image>
    <memory size="256"></memory>
    <network index="0" type="tap" name="TAP"></network>
</colinux>
5)  Set up networking per instructions on CoLinux site http://www.colinux.org/wiki/index.php/coLinuxNetworking (I used Win XP bridging without any hassle).  If you have McAfee Virus Scan installed you must "change" & "repair" McAfee for network connections to work (go to the change/remove programs control panel in Win XP).  Don't be alarmed if you see that the new TAP connection shows as disconnected - It will work once you start up colinux.
6)  Create a shortcut to colinux-daemon.exe and change the target to d:\coLinux\colinux-daemon.exe -t nt (again "d:\coLinux" is where I've installed coLinux and you must change to suit.
Get Gentoo on CoLinux Working
swapon /dev/cobd1 - hardfile 
Update Gentoo - Doing the following takes some time but I was unable to get reliable operation of networking without it.
emerge sync
emerge portage
emerge sync
etc-update  This updates config files.  type "-5" to automatically update and overwrite seven config files.
emerge system and wait several hours ....
etc-update
nano -w /etc/fstab  nano is a text editor for Gentoo and pretty easy to use. 
Using the nano file editor, remove the "#" from the line that starts"#/dev/swap" and change swap to cobd1; remove the"#" from the line that starts "#/dev/cdoms/cdrom0" and change it to /dev/cobd2 and hit tab; "ctrl o" "enter" "ctrl x".  Gentoo should now be able to access your hard drive images.
Install VNCServer & X
emerge tightvnc
vncserver Asks you to create a password - use "gentoo" or whatever you want (maximum 6 characters)
nano -w /root/.vnc/xstartup
change the last line by removing the "twm &" and typing "startxfce4" "ctrl o" "enter" "ctrl x" - this allows X to start
ifconfig
responds with some thing like .... eth0  IP=192.168.1.100 Bcast:192.168.1.255 and Mask: 255.255.0   .... and  lo inet addr:127.0.0.1 .... Lets you know if your network configs are working.  The preceding response may vary depending on your actual network configuration (the preceding was for a bridged connection on a routerred home network using Win XP)
nano -w /etc/hosts
Using the information obtained from ifconfig above, add the line 192.168.1.x  (x being your real IP) for WinXP Bridged Connections (or 192.168.0.x for DHCP), then tab and type "colinux".  Finally type "ctrl o" "enter" "ctrl x" to save the file.
vncserver -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 ..... or 1280x1024 if you want a bigger screen
vncserver -kill :1 - terminates vncserver in colinux and closes X vnc window session (if running)
emerge cvs
emerge gnome-libs - download and install
Build SheepShaver Guide (from Jackalo's Guide or SheepShaver Home Page)
cd /home
mkdir tm  Create a directory name of your choice; mine is "tm"
cd tm  Again, navigate to your choice directory 
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@down.physik.uni-mainz.de:/cvs login - logon server
pw is "anoncvs"
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@down.physik.uni-mainz.de:/cvs checkout BasiliskII - download B2 files
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@down.physik.uni-mainz.de:/cvs checkout SheepShaver - download SheepShaver files
cd SheepShaver
make links
cd src/Unix
./autogen.sh
make
May have to delete SheepShaver directory cd /home/tm & rm -rd SheepShaver and recompile again for it to work ... don't know why.
Other guides recommend that SheepShaver be patched in order to work (see below).  For me installing twice was the answer.  
If the preceding "double install" doesn't work for you, try the following patch procedure.  If you've already compiled ("make") from the preceding, you'll  need to delete the SheepShaver directory and download again before proceeding.
Patch SheepShaver (may not need or may not work)
export WANT_AUTOCONF=2.5
export WANT_AUTOMAKE=1.7
cd /home/tm/SheepShaver/src/kpx_cpu
wget http://gwenole.beauchesne.free.fr/sheepshaver/patches/x86_fpu_opts.diff
patch -p0 < x86_fpu_opts.diff
in response, type "y" ... You may get some errors - ignore.
cd /home/tm/SheepShaver/src/Unix
make
Startup X & SheepShaver in VNC Server
vncserver -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 or .... vncserver -geometry 1280x1024 -depth 16 for a larger window
cd /home/tm/SheepShaver/src/Unix
Startup the VNC Server Viewer by clicking in Windows XP (ip=192.168.1.100:1 and pw = "gentoo"and ...
Run SheepShaver by navigating to the directory where it's located by selecting the file manager icon in X and double clicking or open a terminal window and type ./SheepShaver after navigating to it's directory (cd /home/tm/SheepShaver/src/Unix).
Transfer ROM and MacOS Hardfile image or Install CD
If all goes well in the preceding, you should now have a working GUI for SheepShaver and need to transfer a Mac ROM and Mac Hardfile image (or do an install from CD).  Access to your PC's files should be available by clicking on the File Manager Icon in the toolbar and then choosing smb network and the name of your computer - this will allow you to transfer necessary files to Gentoo Linux.  Again, my assumption is that you have a home network routerred to the internet via hardware router and fixed IP addresses.  You can also access CD Drive by clicking on it's icon in Fstab.  
Cheers and Have Fun ..... Trexplorer

Other Possibly Useful Items
rm -rd "directory name" to delete a directory
smbclient //homepc3/c -U\ tm file transfer from windows via samba.  In this example computer  = "homepc3" and user = "tm" 
get "filename" copies file to linux directory
put "filename" copies file to windows directory
ping 192.168.1.203 enter ip of pc on your network to check for other computers on your network (including the shared network Windows host)
vncserver -kill :1 terminates vncserver identified as 1 in colinux (also kills vncviewer if running under windows).  
You can setup multiple X sessions by executing vncserver -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 for each session and then starting up another vnc session (use 192.168.1.100:2) - cool eh ... 
running vncserver -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 a second time enables for starting another view session window (use 192.168.1.100:2)
poweroff shuts down colinux gentoo system "gracefully"
to enlarge your hardfile image download and install TopoEnlarge from http://hem.passagen.se/svto/tlinux/files/topoenlarge-0.5.zip
Same as emerge system ? - Portage also keeps your system up-to-date. Typing emerge -u world -- one command -- will ensure that all the packages that you want on your system are updated automatically
mount -a mounts all devices defined in Fstab 
In WindowsXP you can find the partition numbers by using the program diskpart.exe (C:\Windows\system32\diskpart.exe) or diskpart.exe from the command line.  This is handy if you want to make changes to fstab and the XML config file to access other linux partitions.
For Volume Numbers
DISKPART> list volume
For Disk Numbers
DISKPART> list disk
For Partition Numbers of disk N
DISKPART> select disk N
DISKPART> list partition
Black Rebel
Student Driver

Post by Black Rebel »

The network doesn't work for me :(
Black Rebel
Student Driver

Post by Black Rebel »

and how do I edit the files ??
vi is not on this Linux ! 8O grrr :evil:
Trombone Bob
Tinkerer

Post by Trombone Bob »

nano is the default editor in gentoo colinux
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

As i know vim is also available.
Black Rebel
Student Driver

Post by Black Rebel »

OK, I edited /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/conf.d/net and it still doesn't work.

Well, bringing eth0 works now, but in Wndows my colinux connection is still not connected when I run colinux.

What should I do ?

Thanks
Yoshinator
Space Cadet

Post by Yoshinator »

Well, after 4 days of following the guide I've been stumped. It seems my Gentoo has no HFS support.

Doing "mount -t hfs /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom" says that fs isn't supported so I can't mount my MAC OS 8.5 CD.

I struggled through learning all these linux commands (and I know NOTHING about linux) and very successfully compiled SheepShaver..Yay!

So I'd like to see it through. If anyone is nice enough to tell me how to get HFS support in linux along with the commands I need to achieve it in a manner a noob like me can understand... please do !!!

Or any suggestion would be appreciated. Like what about the Debian image that's available at the link provided in the guide. Does it have HFS support?

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Some important thoughts to note here on the Tap driver:

1) The Tap driver can crap out due to a firewall the second you try to connect VNC. And in the case of my now FORMER firewall- Kerio. Allowing all does nothing. The firewall must be disabled all together.

2) The Tap also doesn't enable once coLinux has been started, in my case. So you may have to go into Network Connections and set it to always connected, which then worked for me.

3) If it craps out when you connect your VNC, you need to go into network Connections and set it back to application controlled and then back to always connected to get it to work again.

I hope that helps some of you that had such a pain getting networking going.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Yoshinator wrote:Well, after 4 days of following the guide I've been stumped. It seems my Gentoo has no HFS support.

Doing "mount -t hfs /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom" says that fs isn't supported so I can't mount my MAC OS 8.5 CD.

I struggled through learning all these linux commands (and I know NOTHING about linux) and very successfully compiled SheepShaver..Yay!

So I'd like to see it through. If anyone is nice enough to tell me how to get HFS support in linux along with the commands I need to achieve it in a manner a noob like me can understand... please do !!!

Or any suggestion would be appreciated. Like what about the Debian image that's available at the link provided in the guide. Does it have HFS support?

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Some important thoughts to note here on the Tap driver:

1) The Tap driver can crap out due to a firewall the second you try to connect VNC. And in the case of my now FORMER firewall- Kerio. Allowing all does nothing. The firewall must be disabled all together.

2) The Tap also doesn't enable once coLinux has been started, in my case. So you may have to go into Network Connections and set it to always connected, which then worked for me.

3) If it craps out when you connect your VNC, you need to go into network Connections and set it back to application controlled and then back to always connected to get it to work again.

I hope that helps some of you that had such a pain getting networking going.
You don't need to mount the 8.5 cd to run it in sheepshaver. You only need to config it inside sheepshaver.
Yoshinator
Space Cadet

Post by Yoshinator »

Well... first I need a working ROM to get SheepShaver or BasiliskII to work right? :wink:

Well the only way to get a ROM into Gentoo is out from BasiliskII(PC) via HFVExplorer to PC to Gentoo via ssh.

But everytime I do that the ROMs don't boot.

Even my tried and true Quadra 900 ROM that I use on my PC under BasiliskII won't boot in Gentoo under BasiliskII there.

I'm guessing somethings going wrong in the transfer.

Which is why it would be nice to have HFS support under this Gentoo. That away I can just pull the ROM off my CD.
Trombone Bob
Tinkerer

Post by Trombone Bob »

The way I got SheepShaver to load was that I had to launch SheepShaver from a VNC window. Also I extracted the rom from ftp.apple.com and it worked once I coppied it into colinux. The CD-ROM as far as I know is not accessable using SheepShaver in coLinux. I ended up creating an ISO of the mac 8.5 and using the command ./SheepShaver --cdrom /path/to/cd/iso/macos.iso to load mac os
Yoshinator
Space Cadet

Post by Yoshinator »

Well It may have worked the way you suggested. But unfortunately I only get the blackscreen. I zapped the pram and still no go.

I even compiled BasiliskII and no go there either.

I'm at a loss here. I have no idea what else to do except consider redoing everything with another flavor of linux. Purhaps it's just the Gentoo.

Purhaps mandrake or something?

So my next question is:

Does anyone know how I can install mandrake to an image file under coLinux?
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Yoshinator wrote:Well It may have worked the way you suggested. But unfortunately I only get the blackscreen. I zapped the pram and still no go.

I even compiled BasiliskII and no go there either.

I'm at a loss here. I have no idea what else to do except consider redoing everything with another flavor of linux. Purhaps it's just the Gentoo.

Purhaps mandrake or something?

So my next question is:

Does anyone know how I can install mandrake to an image file under coLinux?
1) I have tryed it with fedora/colinux, and the screen just pops up and closes immidiatly.
2) You can install mandrake on an image file simply by copying the files from an existing mandrake installation to an image file, copying the kernel to the windows machine running colinux and setting the config file to match.