F/A 18 Hornet 2.0 on system 9

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Sharky
Space Cadet

F/A 18 Hornet 2.0 on system 9

Post by Sharky »

Hello everyone,

I just revived a few years of my childhood thanks to sheepshaver and F/A 18 Hornet classic on system 9 :)

Now I am trying to make the 2.0 version work on the same system that is pretty simple to use for me now that I intalled it ! (btw I use sheepshaver on mac OSX) But it says my software (the game F/A) should be uptated to be supported on OS9. I know I should use BasiliskII to get MacOS 8.6, but I am sure this game at a time worked on OS9 (and actually his previous version FA classic does !).

Then I am asking you : Is there any solution you know to get this software work on OS9 ? Can I "update" it ?

Thank you for your help !!
NucAr
Tinkerer

Re: F/A 18 Hornet 2.0 on system 9

Post by NucAr »

There is no known way to get F/A-18 Hornet 2.0 working in SheepShaver. This must be due to some limitation in SheepShaver's programming, because as you pointed out, Hornet 2.0 probably does run in OS 9 on real hardware. In fact, Hornet 2.0 has the "Accelerated for Power Macintosh" badge on its box.

Therefore, you'll have to use Basilisk II, which can run up to Mac OS 8.1 (not 8.6). But then, if you use a recent build of Basilisk II, you'll get an irritating amount of in-flight lag. Only the 2009 build won't cause lag. If you can't run the 2009 build in your native OS, you'll have to run it in a virtual machine running an older version of Mac OS X such as 10.5 through 10.7 (I don't know exactly the last version of Mac OS X that the 2009 build ran on).
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Hornet 2 should be able to run with fairly good performance under Mini vMac (Mac II build). It may also be worth testing it out under Qemu with OS 9.2.2, but I would bet that it would run very slowly in that configuration.
Sharky
Space Cadet

Post by Sharky »

NucAr wrote:There is no known way to get F/A-18 Hornet 2.0 working in SheepShaver. This must be due to some limitation in SheepShaver's programming, because as you pointed out, Hornet 2.0 probably does run in OS 9 on real hardware. In fact, Hornet 2.0 has the "Accelerated for Power Macintosh" badge on its box.

Therefore, you'll have to use Basilisk II, which can run up to Mac OS 8.1 (not 8.6). But then, if you use a recent build of Basilisk II, you'll get an irritating amount of in-flight lag. Only the 2009 build won't cause lag. If you can't run the 2009 build in your native OS, you'll have to run it in a virtual machine running an older version of Mac OS X such as 10.5 through 10.7 (I don't know exactly the last version of Mac OS X that the 2009 build ran on).
In fact you are right I have lag when I run F/A 2.0 on the latest build of BasiliskII. (I guess you tryed several things to run this game !)

Then I tryed the 2009 build, but hopelessly I am on 10.9 : No PowerPC apps allowed ;)

Finaly I tryed to emulate Snow Leopard Server on Parallel Desktop. Fine. Then I tryed to emulate Mac OS7 with BasiliskII IN this emulation (reminds me the moovie Inception !) But after a quite long time freezing (something like 30s) Something happen : the famous "?" meaning that something does not work.

These 30s makes me wondering : should I try to go farther ? Or this kind of emulation of an emulation is something too deep for a computer ? Does anyone ever succeed in doing such a thing ?
Sharky
Space Cadet

Post by Sharky »

adespoton wrote:Hornet 2 should be able to run with fairly good performance under Mini vMac (Mac II build). It may also be worth testing it out under Qemu with OS 9.2.2, but I would bet that it would run very slowly in that configuration.
OK then I tryed what you suggested to me, I began to set up mini vMac, but I have a problem. I am using blanks to transfer files and to run this game. I copy a 128M.zip file, unzip it, change the .dsk extention to .dmg, mount the image and then I have an "untitled". But I can't do anything with it, can't copy any files in it… Do you know why I have this issue ?

More generally, I am discovering mini vmac, do you have any other advices to make this FA work ? Thanks a lot for your help !
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I've even recursively emulated Mini vMac within itself, about 5 levels deep. Running BII inside a virtual machine works just fine. You'll just have to update your prefs so the file paths are in the right place.
NucAr
Tinkerer

Post by NucAr »

Running the 2009 Basilisk II build in Snow Leopard Server in Parallels Desktop is in fact my preferred method of running Basilisk II, so yes, it's possible. If you get the question mark, then something must be wrong with how Basilisk II is configured (the ROM?), i.e., some problem that could occur on any other setup. Also, the 2009 build is a universal binary, not PowerPC exclusively. It probably doesn't run in 10.9 due to other issues.

By the way, does Mini vMac have Macintosh II sound emulation yet?
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

By the way, does Mini vMac have Macintosh II sound emulation yet?
MiniVMac_II does have sound for some time now. OK for " Just Grandma and me" or similar.
Sound was enabled in the earlier Android build too, sufficient for simple games.