running Microsoft Office 98 in SheepShaver on a Mac

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

egired
Student Driver

running Microsoft Office 98 in SheepShaver on a Mac

Post by egired »

I would like to use the version of Microsoft Excel from MS Office 98 on an Intel iMac running OS 9.0 and the latest version of SheepShaver. I already have SheepShaver installed and it works fine. I have an old Office 98 CD and I used it to create a .cdr file from the original CD. I locked the .cdr file and added it to the SheepShaver volumes. I was able to run the installer for the entire Office 98 package and the installation worked with no errors. However, when I try to run Excel it seems to try to open but then immediately closes. I was wondering if anyone has had success installing Office 98 on an Intel Mac running SheepShaver. FYI, I did see in a prior forum message a suggestion about removing the "Shared Library Manager" extension. I tried that but it did not work. Thanks for any advice anyone can provide!!!
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: running Microsoft Office 98 in SheepShaver on a Mac

Post by 24bit »

Seems you already found the old thread.
I´m afraid there is no reliable solution for SS on a OSX host. Could you try with Windows or GNU/Linux in a virtual machine? I seem to recall that Office98 was partially working in SS on a 32bit Windows host.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: running Microsoft Office 98 in SheepShaver on a Mac

Post by adespoton »

I seem to recall getting it to run on qemu-ppc (host 10.12, guest 9.2.2) as well.