My old SheepShaver builds

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

mschmitt
Tinkerer

My old SheepShaver builds

Post by mschmitt »

I had some SheepShaver builds shared via Dropbox, from when I was working on changes in 2009:
  • SheepShaver Intel 07-05-2009.zip
  • SheepShaver Intel 07-08-2009.zip
  • SheepShaver Intel HC No_VOSF 7-08-2009.zip
  • SheepShaver UB 07-12-2009.zip
  • SheepShaver UB 2009-07-19.zip
  • SheepShaver UB 2009-07-26.zip
  • SheepShaver UB 2009-08-23.zip
The location of the SheepShaver UB 2009-08-23.zip build was shared via a bit.ly link: http://bit.ly/LvzWH. Which, much to my surprise, people are still downloading. Most recently twice in this month!

I'm not sure why people are still downloading these builds; the only 2009 build in the setup guide is Ronald's 25 October 2009 build.

But as of 3/15/2017 downloading them from the old links will not work; Dropbox removed the Public Folder functionality.

If anyone still needs to download any of these builds, let me know and we'll work something out.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: My old SheepShaver builds

Post by adespoton »

Isn't it possible to turn on sharing for the individual files and redirect the bitly links to the new uri?
mschmitt
Tinkerer

Post by mschmitt »

adespoton wrote:Isn't it possible to turn on sharing for the individual files and redirect the bitly links to the new uri?
It is possible to generate new Dropbox Shared Links for each of the files, dig through the forum to find where the links were originally published, and replace them with the new link URL. The experience for the user is different though; instead of directly downloading the file it first takes you to a Dropbox page.

It is not possible to redirect an existing bit.ly link to a new target location. (I was using the bit.ly links for tracking purposes.)

But what I'm wondering is why would anyone still be interested in these old builds?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

https://www.quora.com/What-urls-shorten ... -long-link

But I have no idea why people would be downloading the older versions. Do you have any idea where they were clicking from (originating uri)?
mschmitt
Tinkerer

Post by mschmitt »

adespoton wrote: But I have no idea why people would be downloading the older versions. Do you have any idea where they were clicking from (originating uri)?
No, all it tells me is most clicks come from emaculation.com. The rest are "Dark Traffic" (meaning no referrer) or via bit.ly.

And the only download I can track is the 2009-08-23 build.