Login  •  Register

The time is now: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:36 am

Emaculation wiki  •  Delete all board cookies

Print view Previous topic  |  Next topic
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:01 pm 
Space Cadet

I'm running SheepShaver 2.4 under macOS 12.12.5.

I kept running into issues where SheepShaver would not recognize my image of 9.0.4. In some cases, it would recognize the image and then not do so again.

I was a bit puzzled.

I found out that the culprit was somehow the SheepShaverPrefs app — which I need to use because SheepShaver crashes on launch otherwise. Doing anything beyond using it to point SheepShaver to the ROM file seems to cause problems.

I did a fresh install of SheepSaver and merely opened SheepShaverPrefs to set the ROM file. After that I launched SheepShaver and continued setting the rest of my preferences there. I never had any problems with images or drives not being recognized since.

Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:48 pm 
Expert User

Hm, I never had any issues using SheepShaverPrefs application, also not in macOS 10.12 Sierra. The built-in preferences editor in the newer SheepShaver builds has a more convenient interface and adds the Ignore Illegal Instructions setting. But I use SheepShaverPrefs only for an occasional quick change in prefs, I have not used it for SheepShaver setup for years since SheepShaver will recognise a ROM file that is (re)named "Mac OS ROM" in the same folder when a path to a ROM file is not yet defined.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:04 pm 
Space Cadet

In my case, SheepShaver crashes even if the rom is named correctly. It seems I have to open the SheepShaverPrefs app just to create some sort of preferences file. I didn't dig into it that deeply, though. This is just what I found to work for me.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:11 am 
Expert User

bedouin wrote:
It seems I have to open the SheepShaverPrefs app just to create some sort of preferences file. I didn't dig into it that deeply, though.

Odd, SheepShaver should create a default minimal prefs file when launched for the first time. It does so here in macOS 10.12.5 after the existing prefs file had been deleted. A path to the "Mac OS ROM" file does not need to be specified in prefs for SheepShaver to run.