Avoid Using SheepShaverPrefs Beyond Setting ROM File

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

bedouin
Space Cadet

Avoid Using SheepShaverPrefs Beyond Setting ROM File

Post by bedouin »

I'm running SheepShaver 2.4 under macOS 12.12.5.

I kept running into issues where SheepShaver would not recognize my image of 9.0.4. In some cases, it would recognize the image and then not do so again.

I was a bit puzzled.

I found out that the culprit was somehow the SheepShaverPrefs app — which I need to use because SheepShaver crashes on launch otherwise. Doing anything beyond using it to point SheepShaver to the ROM file seems to cause problems.

I did a fresh install of SheepSaver and merely opened SheepShaverPrefs to set the ROM file. After that I launched SheepShaver and continued setting the rest of my preferences there. I never had any problems with images or drives not being recognized since.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Avoid Using SheepShaverPrefs Beyond Setting ROM File

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Hm, I never had any issues using SheepShaverPrefs application, also not in macOS 10.12 Sierra. The built-in preferences editor in the newer SheepShaver builds has a more convenient interface and adds the Ignore Illegal Instructions setting. But I use SheepShaverPrefs only for an occasional quick change in prefs, I have not used it for SheepShaver setup for years since SheepShaver will recognise a ROM file that is (re)named "Mac OS ROM" in the same folder when a path to a ROM file is not yet defined.
bedouin
Space Cadet

Post by bedouin »

In my case, SheepShaver crashes even if the rom is named correctly. It seems I have to open the SheepShaverPrefs app just to create some sort of preferences file. I didn't dig into it that deeply, though. This is just what I found to work for me.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

bedouin wrote:It seems I have to open the SheepShaverPrefs app just to create some sort of preferences file. I didn't dig into it that deeply, though.
Odd, SheepShaver should create a default minimal prefs file when launched for the first time. It does so here in macOS 10.12.5 after the existing prefs file had been deleted. A path to the "Mac OS ROM" file does not need to be specified in prefs for SheepShaver to run.