SheepShaver not starting, MacOS Sierra

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

jjjf201
Space Cadet

SheepShaver not starting, MacOS Sierra

Post by jjjf201 »

Hi,

I'm not especially computer literate, so there might be something obvious I'm missing.

I'm trying to install SheepShaver. I've download the application, and created a shared folder into which I've put a ROM file and OS 9.0.4 as well. I've tried renaming both files 'Mac OS ROM', but it's not launching. What have I done wrong?

Screenshot attached to show the file I'm looking at: at the moment, all the file names are as I downloaded them.

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: SheepShaver not starting, MacOS Sierra

Post by adespoton »

You'll need to take the newworld86.rom file, get info, and rename it Mac OS ROM. If it automatically adds a hidden extension ".rom" you'll have to remove that and click the dialog saying yes, you really do want to remove the file extension.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

.... and you need to apply the workaround that is needed to launch SheepShaver the first time after installation in Sierra, as explained under "Compatibility notes" in the download topic:

- macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
There is an issue with macOS 10.12 Sierra (in fact with an additional new security feature in Sierra) that prevents a newly installed SheepShaver to run. The procedure to get it running is simply to copy the program (only the SheepShaver application itself!) to the desktop, remove the old program in the SheepShaver folder and move the new copy from the desktop to the SheepShaver folder.
jjjf201
Space Cadet

Post by jjjf201 »

Thank you both, that's got it working.

I'm now trying to install a game from a CD. I've put the CD in the SheepShaver folder, so that it appears within the Unix folder in the VC.

It says it needs CarbonLib to run. I downloaded this application, with instructions that it needs to be placed in Extensions in the System folder. When I attempt to do this, however, I get an error message saying I can't because the disk is locked.

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks in anticipation.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You probably use a disk image with pre-installed OS9 and erroneously locked that file in the OSX/macOS Finder. The instruction to lock the disk image is intended for an installation disk image, not for a disk image with pre-installed system.
jjjf201
Space Cadet

Post by jjjf201 »

Hi,

Yes, that's worked. Thanks again for you help.

One more question. I've created a very large volume (1GB) for the emulator to run the game. However, I get an error message when I go to install saying there's not enough room in OS9 (just 1MB), which I can't seem to increase from Preferences. Is there a way to increase its size?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The OS9 disk is too small to allow for additional installations. You can copy the system folder to a larger volume and use that one as startup volume. You could use the 1GB volume you already created. Did you format that volume as HFS+ (Mac OS Extended)?

Here are the instructions, copied from another topic:

You probably did not install OS9 yourself, but instead use a pre-installed OS9 system (System Folder only) such as can be downloaded from various sources like the redundant robot site. That installation is on a small volume, sufficient for the system only.

You can simply copy it to a larger volume, within SheepShaver:

- In the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences, create a larger volume, for instance 1 or 2 GB (1000 or 2000 MB) in size.
- Shut down SheepShaver and start it again.
- Allow the new volume to be initialized. In the dialog, choose an appropriate name for the volume and Mac OS Extended for the format.
- Copy the content of the OS9 volume to the larger volume
- When the copy is complete, check whether the System Folder on the new volume shows its System Folder icon. If it only shows a generic folder icon, open the folder so the Finder can "see" the "System" and "Finder" files inside. That way the folder will obtain its icon. (This is called "blessing" the System Folder.)
- In the volumes list in preferences, remove the original OS9 volume, so SheepShaver can start up from the copied system.
- Shut down SheepShaver and start it again.
jjjf201
Space Cadet

Post by jjjf201 »

Thanks for your help again. I've encountered another hiccup.

The game installation requires 2 discs. I've copied both files from both disks into the unix in distinct folders. Once the first one has finished installing, it asks for me to put in the 'second disk': is there anyway to trick it into using the appropriate set of files?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Depends on the installer, but it's guaranteed not to work correctly from the Unix disk. Best solution is to get a copy of Toast inside your OS 9 partition plus the disk images for the two disks... and then use Toast to mount the disks inside the guest OS. Installation should then be a breeze.

The Unix folder is for copying between host and guest, not for live file access on the guest from the host. That is known to have numerous problems.
jjjf201
Space Cadet

Post by jjjf201 »

Could you explain how to mount a disk image into Toast please?

And thanks for the clarification about the Unix. Always learning!

EDIT: Further details.

After playing around with it, I open Toast with the emulator and select 'Disk Image' then 'Mount': but it won't let me select the disk image in order to do so: I can only just keep clicking through to other files.

24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Toast is unable to use files from the UNIX volume, like almost all Mac apps.
Move the disk image to your emulators "HDD", not to the Mac desktop, and try again please.

This little helper does mount many images too: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/virtual ... cd-utility
Some large disk images for emulators are collected here: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/disk-images-emulators
jjjf201
Space Cadet

Post by jjjf201 »

ugh, so in my ongoing saga with this...

I've now done that, but get this message:

Black & White Install could not be mounted... it contains an unknown file system. Mostly likely... "Foreign file Access" and "ISO 9550 File Access" are not installed.

Here's what I'm doing for clarity.

I would give up, but I'm actually enjoying learning how this works.

Thanks again

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Going back a couple of posts:
jjjf201 wrote:I've copied both files from both disks into the unix in distinct folders.
It seems that you are not using disk image files, as adespoton assumed, but files copied from the disks. To make an installation succeed, you would need to make disk images from the disks (could be done in Disk Utility, see SheepShaver on OSX tutorial) and mount those image files in SheepShaver. The simplest way to mount disk images in SheepShaver would be to add them to the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences.
jjjf201
Space Cadet

Post by jjjf201 »

I've made those disk images now and 'Add'-ed them in the Volumes list in Preferences. When I start SheepShaver it asks me to initialize and that, if I do so, it will delete all the information in those files. What do I do?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Did you make sure to choose as format for the images either "read/write" or "DVD/CD Master"?
jjjf201
Space Cadet

Post by jjjf201 »

I did it via "Open disk image...", and didn't get an option to pick a format. However, they have saved as .dmg
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

No, that will not work.

You have the actual physical CD's?

With the CD mounted in OSX, select the CD in the left column in Disk Utility window. Then choose from the File menu "New Image" and from the submenu "Image from <name of the CD>"

Then, in the Save dialog, choose the location where you want to save the image file and at the bottom of the Save dialog choose "DVD/CD master" for the Format and "none" for Encryption. Click Save. You may need to enter your administrator password. Be patient, the procedure will take several minutes, especially reading the CD will take time. When ready, the created file <name of the CD>.cdr is the disk image file that you can add to the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences. Best lock the image file in OSX Finder Info to make it look to SheepShaver like a (non-writeable) CD.

I understand that the game is on two disks, so you will need two image files and both mounted in SheepShaver. Note that changes in SheepShaver preferences take effect after quitting SheepShaver and starting it again.
jjjf201
Space Cadet

Post by jjjf201 »

SUCCESS!

Thank you!

podolsky
Tinkerer

Post by podolsky »

I haven't had quite as good luck. After I control escape SS and replace it, I get a screen that is the correct dimensions I chose but still has the disk with the question mark. What am I missing?

Thanks!
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

The blinking question mark says that MacOS can not find a volume with a blessed System folder on it.
You may try this volume known to boot: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macos-753-emulators
Please take notice of the remarks about OldWorldROM.
clementine
Space Cadet

Post by clementine »

Hello-I am also trying to install Black & White from a CD. When I follow these instructions, the DiskUtility gives me an error saying "Operation failed: Operation not permitted." Any ideas on what is going wrong?

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:25 pm No, that will not work.

You have the actual physical CD's?

With the CD mounted in OSX, select the CD in the left column in Disk Utility window. Then choose from the File menu "New Image" and from the submenu "Image from <name of the CD>"

Then, in the Save dialog, choose the location where you want to save the image file and at the bottom of the Save dialog choose "DVD/CD master" for the Format and "none" for Encryption. Click Save. You may need to enter your administrator password. Be patient, the procedure will take several minutes, especially reading the CD will take time. When ready, the created file <name of the CD>.cdr is the disk image file that you can add to the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences. Best lock the image file in OSX Finder Info to make it look to SheepShaver like a (non-writeable) CD.

I understand that the game is on two disks, so you will need two image files and both mounted in SheepShaver. Note that changes in SheepShaver preferences take effect after quitting SheepShaver and starting it again.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Which is your OSX or macOS host system? Creating disk images in this way is not possible in macOS 10.15 (Catalina) and later.
clementine
Space Cadet

Post by clementine »

Oh-that makes sense. I have Big Sur (11.2.3). Is there any way around this? I successfully set up OS 9 on SheepShaver, but haven't been able to get the game to load from the CD.

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:01 pm Which is your OSX or macOS host system? Creating disk images in this way is not possible in macOS 10.15 (Catalina) and later.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

You can download the two CD disk images from Macintosh Garden: https://macintoshgarden.org/games/black ... tinum-pack

I am not sure how well it will run in SheepShaver. The minimum requirements include 3D graphics accelerator which is not emulated in SheepShaver. And you will need to have CarbonLib 1.4 (or later) extension installed in MacOS9, also available on Macintosh Garden: https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/carbonlib