Internetconfig is not properly installed

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

coleblooded
Space Cadet

Internetconfig is not properly installed

Post by coleblooded »

Hi,

New to the mac emulator world and not too savvy with mac operating systems. I just installed the 2014 update for Sheepshaver, running OS 9 on my Macbook pro OSX 10.11 El capitan. I got OS9 running just fine, and it starts up every time. I am trying to play Pillars of Garendall, and I dragged the folder which has the application for the demo version into the Shared folder I created, then I copied it to the hard disk in OS9. Every time I try to open the app in the emulator, the message "InternetConfig is not properly installed" comes up. I tried going in Control Panel and opening up Startup Disk, and some other apps, and nothing comes up. Did I install wrong/can you guys help me out?

Thanks,

Cole
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Internetconfig is not properly installed

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Maybe the application wants to connect to the internet. Did you enable slirp networking in SheepShaver preferences and did you configure TCP/IP control panel in OS9 to Ethernet and DHCP as described in the SheepShaver for OSX tutorial?
coleblooded
Space Cadet

Post by coleblooded »

Hey Ronald,

Yes, I did all of that and still the same message.
:/ weird

Cole
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Your host machine is connected to the internet and in TCP/IP the proper addresses for slirp are obtained?
IP Address: 10.0.2.15
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Router address: 10.0.2.2
Name-server address: 10.0.2.3

If so, I do not know what could be wrong on your side.

I have my latest SheepShaver build run in macOS 10.12 with MacOS 9.0.4. I downloaded the demo from the link in Macintosh Garden, I moved the folder into the shared folder, I copied the folder from Unix to the 9.0.4 HD, I opened the folder and launched the demo application. Runs fine, no error message.

The OS9 system you use is not a complete OS installation, it lacks additional software that is installed with a regular OS installation. Maybe you should try to find a full installer and set up SheepShaver with a proper installation.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Obvious question, but I might as well ask it...

Is Internet Config installed correctly?

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/internet-config-202

"Internet Config" is a third-party app used to handle MIME types and file handlers on earlier versions of Mac OS.
coleblooded
Space Cadet

Post by coleblooded »

Replying to both of you-

No it appears InternetConfig is not installed correctly. It seems like I haven't fully installed the OS9 system in Sheepshaver. I clicked "Initialize" in the window when it first booted up, but I never got a message after that about a "Mac OS Install", or anything about the "Configuration Assistant." Wonder if there is something I'm missing or didn't download? I got the New World PPC ROM and the OS9 Boot Image (120 megs) both from Redundant Robot, and the whole package from the zip file in your 2014 Sheepshaver build. Do I need to download InternetConfig separately and transfer it into OS9?
kataetheweirdo
Master Emulator

Post by kataetheweirdo »

The version on Redundant Robot is a pre-installed version of Mac OS 9. You need to find a full CD for Mac OS 9 (Mac Garden helps) and install from that CD.

It should also be noted that this appears to be a QuickTime issue too, as the game does need QT5.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

kataetheweirdo wrote:It should also be noted that this appears to be a QuickTime issue too, as the game does need QT5.
If that is true, the game would not run in SheepShaver. The latest version of QuickTime that is compatible with SheepShaver is version 4.1.2. However, the version of Pillars of Garendall available through Macintosh Garden is said there to run in SheepShaver.
coleblooded
Space Cadet

Post by coleblooded »

Awesome thanks!
coleblooded
Space Cadet

Post by coleblooded »

Ok- so now, I retried and installed with an actual OS 9.0.4 install disk image. Everything is up and running, completed the installer and configuration assistant, and I checked TCP/IP addresses in the Control Panel and they are all correct for slirp. Internet explorer opens, InternetConfig 2.0 works fine. Still the same message "InternetConfig is not properly installed" comes up when I try to open the demo. I downloaded the full version of POG off of mac garden and every time I try and open that, Sheepshaver crashes.

I feel like I'm so close to getting this whole thing functional :???:
lisebakker
Space Cadet

Post by lisebakker »

Coleblooded did you ever manage to find a solution to the constant crashes? I'm having exactly the same issue, POG downloaded from Macintosh Garden, unstuffed, then open the app and it immediately crashes.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Which one of the list of Pillars of Garendall downloads from Macintosh Garden did you choose?

(Sorry for the long wait. From now on you can post directly without having to wait for approval.)
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
lisebakker
Space Cadet

Post by lisebakker »

Thanks Ronald!
I downloaded the first on the list, the pog.sit. It unstuffs, then SheepShaver crashes, and on repoening the folder disappears so I have to re-unstuff every time.

I also have my own version of PoG which comes up with the InternetConfig not installed message, but I understand there can be problems registering that version so I'd prefer to use the full one from MacintoshGarden if I can :)

Edit: I just dowloaded the Mac full update (mac_pog_full_update.sit), unstuffed it, and it crashed again when trying to open the program. I'd so love to be able to play this game!
Last edited by lisebakker on Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elyus
Tinkerer

Post by Elyus »

PoG should run very well in Sheepshaver, but it sounds like there are other problems if Stuffit is crashing too.

What's your host OS, and how did you install Sheepshaver?
lisebakker
Space Cadet

Post by lisebakker »

Sorry, I can't have been as clear as I thought! Stuffit works fine, it's when the program's unstuffed, I can open the folder absolutely fine, but the minute I try and open the actual POG program SheepShaver crashes completely. Like you've done a control-esc to it. Happens with both the regular pog.sit and the update file.

I'm running 10.14.6 Mojave (recently updated) and installed SheepShaver exactly the way the guide told me to - using the Macintosh Garden disc image and the Redundant Robot new world ROM.
Elyus
Tinkerer

Post by Elyus »

It sounds like you have a full install, so I"m not sure what's happening to you. I looked through Ambrosia's old support forum for PoG, and this issue came up a handful of times but never with a resolution.

A couple ideas that might help narrow the problem:

- Have you tried the mac_pog_demo from Macintosh Garden? As I recall, the pog.sit download is missing key things like the register program. You may need to download the demo, start the register program, and then run the game?

- Are you running on the startup disk or a different disk? Also make sure everything is copied out of the Unix drive if using the shared folder since that can cause issues. It would have to be copied onto the startup disk directly, not just the desktop, because items from the Unix drive can still appear on the desktop without actually moving into the virtual disk.

- adespoton's suggestion to install Internet Config may be worth a try as well, even though I'm not sure it helped coleblooded.

These are just some random thoughts. Maybe one of them will help? I'm a bit perplexed by this error message :???: . I've had no trouble with PoG running in Mac OS 8.5 and up via Sheepshaver, apart from difficulty getting the videos to display.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Lots of thoughts and advices, but they do not apply to this particular download. I have other things to do right now, but I will come back later to explain how to get the game from this file into SheepShaver.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

So you could expand the pog.sit to Pillars of Garendall.toast and got the CD image mounted?
If yes, you might try running the game with a MacOS 7.6 instance.
The OldWorldROM will be needed for SheepShaver with 7.6.
I could get into the intro without crash that way, the game crashes on 8.6 on my side too. :)

Maybe we should add a zipped iso of the game for Windows Mac emulators?

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

From the description lisebakker gave above, I understand that the issue is that she(?) did not have the .toast image mounted in SheepShaver. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

(I do not know why it is posted as .toast image. The image seems not to be created from a CD-ROM.)

I tried it in MacOS 9.0.4 with new world rom file and it works there also.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
lisebakker
Space Cadet

Post by lisebakker »

Further updates: (yes, she)

It doesn't matter which file I download from MacGarden, I have one of either two errors - the demo and my own version of POG (transferred through a succession of Macs from the original one we played on) come up with the InternetConfig message, and the full versions (the original and the update) and the register garendall license crash SheepShaver.

When I start to unstuff the MG original version, the .toast image pops up on my desktop, I wait for the unstuff, then the PoG folder itself shows up. Opening the folder is fine, but the moment I try to open the program itself, SheepShaver crashes (and I get the message from my host OS telling me it has quit unexpectedly). Reopening SheepShaver, the folder with the app, license, all that, has gone, and the only thing left is the original .sit and the .toast which tells me I don't have the original program. The unstuff takes about 10 minutes so it's frustrating to have it disappear!

I downloaded the InternetConfig program from the link provided to coleblooded originally, which opens a control panel, but not sure what to do with it next. Opening the versions reliant on the InternetConfig message still give the same message.

I'm sorry, I'm really not tech-savvy, and this is driving me crazy.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

It is remarkable that unstuffing the pog.sit file inside SheepShaver not only results in the .toast file, but also opens it inside SheepShaver to show its content. I wonder which application (and version) you use to do that.

Anyway, the files you see are on the .toast image file and you cannot use them from there. Follow the instructions in the ReadMe that is there: Copy (drag) the 'Pillars of Garendall' folder to your MacOS9HD* and copy the 'Garendall License' file into the Preferences folder inside the System Folder on your MacOS9HD.

Then you should be able to start the 'Pillars of Garendall' application inside the 'Pillars of Garendall' folder on your MacOS9HD.

* MacOS9HD or whatever name you gave that volume when in was initialized at setup.

Edit: You should not need a separate InternetConfig installation. I do not know why you see that error message.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

I´m uploading a ISO.zip to my ISP´s Cloud.
The file is made from the toast.sit at Macintoshgarden.
Inflating can be done by any ZIP app on Windows.
The ISO should be mountable via SheepShaver´s volumes tab without issues.
Feel free to try: https://www.magentacloud.de/lnk/vbGUl9zw
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

@ lisebakker
This zipped .iso file by "24bit" is also easier to use in OSX/macOS.
- Decompress the zip file in the macOS host.
- In SheepShaver preferences add the resulting "Pillars of Garendall.iso" file to the volumes list.
- After saving and quitting and again relaunching SheepShaver, the volume will appear on the desktop.
- Follow the instructions in the Read Me: Copy (drag) the 'Pillars of Garendall' folder to your MacOS9HD and copy the 'Garendall License' file into the Preferences folder inside the System Folder on your MacOS9HD.
- Run the game from your MacOS9HD.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Thanks Ronald!
Silly me, did not read that the OP is using a Mac.
In that case, unstuffing .sit with The Unarchiver is the best advice, probably. ;)
Also adding a .toast file to the volumes tab should be no issue.
lisebakker
Space Cadet

Post by lisebakker »

Hi Ronald and 24bit,

I've tried everything you both recommended exactly as written - copying the folder to the OS9 volume, copying the license to the preferences, and then trying the .iso approach. No matter what I do, SheepShaver crashes the instant I open the actual program.

Any further thoughts, or is this just a lost cause?