Internetconfig is not properly installed

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Internetconfig is not properly installed

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

24bit wrote:In that case, unstuffing .sit with The Unarchiver is the best advice, probably. ;)
That is how I did it. The zip file is 'easier' because it does not involve installation of The Unarchiver or Stuffit Expander on the host.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Maybe try the 7.5.3 disk image here for PoG: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macos-753-emulators (First DL)
As 7.6 did run the game from CD image fine on my side, 7.5.3 should do too.

The boot disk mentioned above is only the bare System, not much else besides the 7.5.3 installer files.
A fresh MacOS 7.6.1 will be a good thought either.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Out of curiosity, I tried this with my prebuilt Mac OS 9 system (which you can find by searching for "Mac OS 9 for OS X/MacOS"). I did this:

1. I downloaded the same SIT file that you downloaded from Macintosh Garden.

2. I started up my Mac OS 9 app.

3. I dropped the SIT file on the icon for my Mac OS 9 app. This copies the SIT to the SheepShaver desktop in my system.

4. I double-clicked the SIT file that my system copied to the SheepShaver desktop. It expanded automatically and created a disk image for the game on the SheepShaver desktop.

5. I double-clicked the disk image on the SheepShaver desktop. This opened a window where I could play the game.

6. I double-clicked the game icon. The game opened, and seemed to play perfectly:

https://imgur.com/a/NCpIoOL

Probably something is installed incorrectly in the system that you have. You might try mine, which needs no setup, no configuration, no effort at all. You simply double-click and run it. But read the documentation to find out the ways it makes things much easier to manage than standard SheepShaver setups. And it runs this game instantly.

Again, I didn't change or configure my system in any special way. I just dropped the SIT on my "Mac OS 9" app; double-clicked the SIT file copied to SheepShaver desktop; double-clicked the disk image that emerged from the SIT file; double-clicked the game icon; and played the game. All this probably took less than two percent of the time that you would need to spend on other methods offered in this thread.

The rules of the forum forbid me to post a direct link to my system, but it's easy to find with a web search.
lisebakker
Space Cadet

Post by lisebakker »

Hi Emendelson, I've tried to install your system, but when attempting to install the Mac OS 9 operating system I'm getting a message saying "Problems were encountered reading the source file "Big System Morsels". Installation cannot continue". Any thoughts?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

lisebakker wrote:Hi Emendelson, I've tried to install your system, but when attempting to install the Mac OS 9 operating system I'm getting a message saying "Problems were encountered reading the source file "Big System Morsels". Installation cannot continue". Any thoughts?
What do you mean by "installing the Mac OS 9 operating system"? You don't install an operating system in this setup. You simply download the application and run it. The operating system is already installed and ready to use.

You may be using something different and not the one that I've been talking about. The one you want is the one whose name is "Mac OS 9" (not "SheepShaver Wrapper", which is something different).

Please read the page about this system. It tells you everything you need to know.
lisebakker
Space Cadet

Post by lisebakker »

Thanks heaps emendelson, Ronald, and 24bit for all your tips!
Emendelson, I was trying to use your system as a disc image which was why I was improvising... I should just read the instructions more clearly!

I have succeeded in getting PoG to run on Emendelson's system. It was tricky to get the license sorted, I had to download both the full and the demo version, register the demo version because the license file in the full version wasn't working, and I couldn't open the registration program without it being in the same (locked) folder as the game. Once I deleted the locked license file that wasn't working from the preferences, I set my clock back to the date I originally requested my own license codes (back in 2008), disabled the internet, and that registered it fine. Then deleted the demo game, because the license file was in the preferences now and the full game was sorted.

Whew. Thank you all so much for your wonderful help, it's all working wonderfully now! I'm playing PoG and it's exactly like I remembered it which is so awesome :)
Elyus
Tinkerer

Post by Elyus »

I'm glad you got this working and can enjoy PoG again, lisebakker! It's true that getting the license to work is a bit of a pain, but at least it's a one-time process. :smile:

For this particular error, it seems switching to a full new system like emendelson's is the easiest fix. Ideally, we could figure out what causes the InternetConfig message to be displayed in some circumstances, but I guess we may never know!