Unlocking Extensions Folder

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Nfer
Space Cadet

Unlocking Extensions Folder

Post by Nfer »

I am new to Sheepshaver and am trying to get a game up and running. There was a CarbonLib error, so I found a forum post on a similar issue and followed a link to download CarbonLib 1.6 .smi. It is on my OS9HD, but I cannot transfer it to my extensions folder because it is locked. Sorry, it has been a looong time since I've used OS9. Any suggestions? I'm sure I'm missing something (or many things). :oops:
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Unlocking Extensions Folder

Post by adespoton »

Sounds like you downloaded the RedundantRobot pre-installed image, locked it and booted it?

If so, please have a re-read through the wiki setup instructions and get yourself a copy of an OS 9.04 install CD image instead of the RR boot image. Once you've got that set up, the CarbonLib error should automatically be gone, plus you won't have the locked folder issue (as you'll only have locked the install CD, not the disk image you're planning to use).
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The instruction in the setup guide to lock the initial startup image file is intended for use with an installation CD image, not for an image with pre-installed system like the one you can download from Redundant Robot. You should undo locking that file when you want to continue to use that OS9 image. However, there is hardly room on that volume for additional software.

You could copy the System Folder onto a larger volume, but the result will still only be the System Folder and not a full MacOS installation. Better go with adespoton's advice to follow the instructions in the setup guide and use a true installation CD image.

Edit:
To find a disk image of a retail international English Mac OS 9.0.4 install CD:
- search for the "macintosh garden" site
- on that site search for "Mac OS 9.0.4"
- on the Mac OS 9.0.4 page look for the file "MacOS904CD_Intl.ZIP"
( I added this information to the setup guide.)
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
Nfer
Space Cadet

Post by Nfer »

Awesome! Thank you to both of you for the reply. I thought I had replaced the redundant robot version, but I better go back through the motions again to make sure I didn't mess up.
Nfer
Space Cadet

Post by Nfer »

That totally worked! Everything is looking much more like it used to. I updated CarbonLib and all is well :)