compressed stuffit files not opening

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

oakwood
Space Cadet

compressed stuffit files not opening

Post by oakwood »

Hi There,
I am running SheepShaver 2.4.20140201 (2.4), under MacOS El Capitan (10.11.2).
I have a lot of old files, most of them are compressed with stuffit.
They have been compressed back in the day, with Stuffit, but now I cannot expand them.
If I try to expand them under MacOS X, with Stuffit 15.0.4 I get a message:
"A failure has occurred. The Stuffit Engine was unable to determine the file format."

On the other hand, if I copy it in SheepShaver, where I have Stuffit Expander 5.5 installed, with the relevant extension (Stuffit Engine) enabled, I get "nothing", i.e. if I drag and drop the compressed file on the Stuffit Expander icon I get the quick animation of the "launch" (an expanding rectangle) and then nothing happens.

The files are from around 1996 - 2000.

Any help is appreciated.
I can give more details.

Cheers,

Fabio
oakwood
Space Cadet

Re: compressed stuffit files not opening

Post by oakwood »

I solved my own problem:
If the files are on the desktop, they are on the "Unix File System".
To work properly they need to be copied to the "Hard Disk", the built-in volume created by SeepShaver, (where the System Folder is).
Once copied on that volume, everything works!

:smile:

Fabio
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: compressed stuffit files not opening

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

oakwood wrote:If the files are on the desktop, they are on the "Unix File System".
Only when the files are dragged directly from "Unix" to the desktop. In classic MacOS there is not one 'desktop' location, each mounted volume has its own desktop and what you see is the combined desktops of all mounted volumes.

Trick to prevent dragging files to the Unix desktop: In the assigned shared folder on the OSX host, lock the folder "Dektop Folder".