Copying bitmap images into HyperCard

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Chuck
Student Driver

Copying bitmap images into HyperCard

Post by Chuck »

Hello everyone. I'm using SheepShaver on a Mac Mini running OS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. I use SheepShaver almost exclusively for HyperCard. I can copy text in OS 10 and then paste it into a HyperCard text box but for some reason can not do the same with images such as jpeg files. I can copy them into SheepShaver through the SheepShaver folder, open them in Picture Viewer then copy them into HyperCard, but the quality is greatly degraded. For this reason, I've been switching to my PowerBook G4 running HyperCard in order to paste in graphics. I wonder if there is any possible fix for this problem?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Copying bitmap images into HyperCard

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Using the clipboard to copy images from OSX to MacOS will work best with latest SheepShaver build running in 64-bit mode, but it will not work for all applications. If your Mac Mini can have applications run in 64-bit mode you can set SheepShaver to run in 64-bit mode in OSX 10.6 in Finder Info panel for the application.
I can copy them into SheepShaver through the SheepShaver folder,
You mean the shared folder? I am not sure why the quality would be degraded by processing the images through PictureViewer. Are the images still OK when viewed in Picture Viewer?
Chuck
Student Driver

Post by Chuck »

It seems I'm using SheepShaver_UB_20140201. And yes, I mean the Shared Folder. I will switch to the latest version of SS as soon as I get some time and then try it again. Anyway for now,

Image #1 https://ibb.co/b3Cmra/

This viewed in Jview on my Intel Mac Mini running OS 10.6.8.

Image #2 https://ibb.co/c0b1Pv

This is the same image viewed in Jview on SheepShaver after copying via Shared Folder. Quality degradation is marginal and hardly noticeable. However, if I then try to copy Image #2 into HypeCard, the result is...

Image #3 https://ibb.co/dyLd4v

The absence is color is not the problem since HyperCard is B/W. But the finer lines are lost.

Image #4 https://ibb.co/jhXQjv

This is the result of using my Power PC PowerBook G4 running HyperCard essentially native and thus without needing SheepShaver. This is what I've been doing for years because of this problem, but I'm back in Japan for a year or so and don't have access to my PowerBook.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I see. The problem is apparently caused by repeated converting to different resolutions.

Also, nowadays Macs use 100dpi for images where it used to be 72dpi on Mac. I don't remember if that was already so in OSX 10.6 and I am not sure if that can influence the result on screen.

The solution could be to first use a graphic application in OSX to convert the images to black-and-white images with the size and resolution they will have in HyperCard.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:I see. The problem is apparently caused by repeated converting to different resolutions.

Also, nowadays Macs use 100dpi for images where it used to be 72dpi on Mac. I don't remember if that was already so in OSX 10.6 and I am not sure if that can influence the result on screen.

The solution could be to first use a graphic application in OSX to convert the images to black-and-white images with the size and resolution they will have in HyperCard.

This is definitely the issue/solution. My workflow when I used to do this was to use PhotoShop on OS X to export the images as 256 color or B/W PICT files that I could load up inside the emulator. HyperCard supports color images by the way; I used to scan in dithered black and white images in 1989, but by 1992, HyperCard had full support for colour resources; it just (like the Finder) didn't display this fact by default.