Superfast Power Pete

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Alopex
Space Cadet

Superfast Power Pete

Post by Alopex »

Hello, Emaculation community!

This is my very first post on this forum and I'd like to ask you a little question: I've configured and installed Mac OS 9 on my Windows 10 operating system with SheepShaver and, some freeze problems aside, it works quite well. I also installed Power Pete (Mighty Mike) on it but it runs too fast. Now I wonder: is there any way to get slow the game?

Thanks in advance!
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Superfast Power Pete

Post by 24bit »

I think people tried to slow down Basilisk II and SheepShaver in the past, but in vein.
Basilisk II is a lot slower than SheepShaver, but way too fast for many games still.
MiniVMac is the only emulator with a built in speed setting, no idea whether Power Pete will work with MiniVMac_II, though.
QEMU may be an option, as the emulated Mac OS is rather slow.
Some builds have sound working, but I kind of lost track what will work with which build.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Have you tried running Mighty Mike instead of Power Pete? The newer version isn't slaved to the CPU clock speed IIRC, and so shouldn't exhibit this issue.

Another option in BII would be to use a large, non-standard screen resolution; this will cause BII to choke on the blitting routines, giving less time per cycle to the emulated CPU, and making the game playable. You may find it's *too* slow this way though.
Alopex
Space Cadet

Post by Alopex »

Have you tried running Mighty Mike instead of Power Pete? The newer version isn't slaved to the CPU clock speed IIRC, and so shouldn't exhibit this issue.
Man, I love you! I tried Mighty Mike and it works perfectly!

Thanks a lot for the help!
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

As an aside, my wife actually has the Powerful Pete keyfob that sparked the lawsuit that caused the name change :) I remember when Power Pete came out I was thinking "Can they do that?" It quickly turned out that they could, but that it would require paying a lot of expensive lawyers....