Running in Kali Linux

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

kraftycheese
Space Cadet

Running in Kali Linux

Post by kraftycheese »

Hi, I am trying to get SheepShaver to work on Kali Linux. I have already gotten it built and installed, I have a ROM file and a disk image for the system install already. I can get the program to launch okay by navigating into the folder where the ROM file is located and launching it.

However, according to the instructions the GUI screen where SheepShaver is configured is supposed to appear when it starts up; however all I get is the default Mac screen with the blinking question mark on the floppy disk icon, indicating no system folder is present. I need to get the SheepShaver GUI to appear so I can mount the system disk, but it does not appear on startup and I can't figure out how to make it appear.

If it helps I currently just have both the ROM file and the System install disk image saved in my Downloads folder and that is where I am launching the program from, since the instructions did not specify where to put the ROM file. I don't know if the ROM file needs to be in a specific location or not or if that has anything to do with the problem. I am running SheepShaver as superuser.

Thanks in advance.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Running in Kali Linux

Post by Cat_7 »

Perhaps you didn't compile with the gui enabled.
Check the build options with ./configure --help

Best,
Cat_7
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

It's also worth noting that once you've run it to the blinking question mark, the prefs file will be created, so you can open that up manually and add the path to your boot disk.
kraftycheese
Space Cadet

Post by kraftycheese »

cool thank you guys, I was able to get the disk mounted via the preferences. one more question: is it possible to turn on the fullscreen mode by editing the preferences file?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

kraftycheese wrote:cool thank you guys, I was able to get the disk mounted via the preferences. one more question: is it possible to turn on the fullscreen mode by editing the preferences file?
Possible, yes... set it to fullscreen instead of window.

However, this can cause problems on some builds in practice so YMMV.

A quick reference to the prefs file can be found here:
https://github.com/sentient06/Medusa/wi ... X-and-Unix

I'm not sure if we've got anything outlining the Linux prefs in the wiki on here, but sentient06's documentation should be accurate.