my shhepsaver will only load once

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

ed brumby
Space Cadet

my shhepsaver will only load once

Post by ed brumby »

hi
I am new to all this. I am on Sierra 10.12.6
My Shhepsaver only seems to load once when I switch my mac on. It will not load again.
Assuming it is already loaded, how do I access the Mac os 9 desktop
Ed
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: my shhepsaver will only load once

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

ed brumby wrote:My Shhepsaver only seems to load once when I switch my mac on. It will not load again.
Exactly what do you mean? SheepShaver does nothing when you switch on your Mac. SheepShaver is an application that needs to be launched.

- Did you download SheepShaver from our download post here: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewto ... =20&t=7360 ?
- Did you perform the workaround for Sierra that is described there under "Compatibility notes"?
- Did you follow our setup manual here: http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/she ... os_x_setup ?
ed brumby
Space Cadet

Post by ed brumby »

Hi
sorry for my misleading post. I meant it won't launch twice.
I am a bit confused by the instruction:
- macOS 10.12 (Sierra)
There is an issue with macOS 10.12 Sierra (in fact with an additional new security feature in Sierra) that prevents a newly installed SheepShaver to run. The procedure to get it running is simply to copy the program (only the SheepShaver application itself!) to the desktop, remove the old program in the SheepShaver folder and move the new copy from the desktop to the SheepShaver folder.

Do you mean copy the newly downloaded copy to the desktop, and move this to replace the old copy?
Do I have to do this every time I run sheep shaver?
Ed
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

You need to be more specific about which files you use and what you do with them. There are many variation of SheepShaver floating around. The instructions are for the recommended February 2014 SheepShaver build. Do you use that build?

The workaround for Sierra needs to be done only once. Copy SheepShaver from the SheepShaver folder to the desktop, delete the original SheepShaver from the SheepShaver folder and move the copy from the desktop back to the SheepShaver folder.

I do not understand what you mean when you say that you cannot launch SheepShaver twice. I suppose you have a compatible ROM file named "Mac OS ROM" installed. Without that ROM file in place, you would not be able to launch SheepShaver at all. At first launch of SheepShaver, without further configuration, you will see the window with floppy icon and blinking question mark. At that stage, when you do not proceed with configuration and installing a Mac OS system, you can only quit SheepShaver by using control-escape. After that you can launch SheepShaver again.