Mac OS 9 Internet

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

calebo5
Student Driver

Mac OS 9 Internet

Post by calebo5 »

Hi im new here so excuse me for this but I got my mac os 9 working in sheepshaver on mac os high sierra 10.13 and I can't connect to the internet. Can someone help me out here?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Mac OS 9 Internet

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

1. In a regular SheepShaver setup (not for instance Chubby Bunny COI), make sure slirp networking is enabled.
In SheepShaver Preferences > Miscellaneous > Ethernet Interface: slirp

2. In MacOS 9, TCP/IP control panel should be set to Ethernet and DHCP. As soon as you start using IP network access, for instance with a web-browser, the IP addresses for slirp will become visible in the control panel.

3. If 2. does not work, you can try setting TCP/IP control panel manually for slirp:
IP Address: 10.0.2.15
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Router address: 10.0.2.2
Name-server address: 10.0.2.3
calebo5
Student Driver

Post by calebo5 »

How do I get the slirp that is in this guide to work on my sheepshver for mac
calebo5
Student Driver

Post by calebo5 »

I found out that I already have the slirp enabled
calebo5
Student Driver

Post by calebo5 »

As well now whenever I open up the multiple user account page it just closes without me doing anything how do I fix this
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Do you need multiple users in SheepShaver? I never use it. Regardless, it should not close by itself.

- Which SheepShaver build do you use?
- Did you do a full MacOS installation or do you use a (limited) pre-installed system like the OS9 image that you can find on the redundant robot site?

If you use a disk image like the redundant robot OS9 image, you may have erroneously locked that file in the host macOS Finder. That instruction in the setup manual is intended for install CD images, not for images with a pre-installed system. With the system disk locked, many things will not work.
calebo5
Student Driver

Post by calebo5 »

So do I just unlock the file then to fix that?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

If you use the redundant robot OS9 image, yes. That file should not have been locked to begin with. But you will still have a limited MacOS installation on a volume that is too small for additional software installations.
Slimnotshady
Space Cadet

Post by Slimnotshady »

Hi,
I used the disk image found on redundant robot. I am having trouble opening many of the items in the preferences folder. I am not sure if this is due to the disk image. What are the differnces between a full disk image and the disk image found on redundant robot. And if there are major differences would you happen to have a link to a full install disk?
Thanks
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The redundant robot disk is a limited installation, contains the System Folder only. There is also no room on it for major additional installations. Despite its limitations, it should work fine. Maybe you locked the image file? That is an instruction in the manual for actual install CD images, you should not do it on a pre-installed system like the redundant robot OS9 image.

Full install disk images can be found when you search the Macintosh Garden site. Make sure to choose a general install CD image. Installers intended for specific Mac models will not work in SheepShaver.