Emulating a Game on SheepShaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Koudelka47
Space Cadet

Emulating a Game on SheepShaver

Post by Koudelka47 »

Hello everyone,

I have recently installed SheepShaver and I got it to run and open without any major issues. If it is helpful to know, I am running the program on my MacBook Air, which has macOS High Sierra, Version 10.13. I am trying to emulate an older game on SheepShaver, but I am having difficulty doing so.

I download the zip file from the following URL: https://www.macintoshrepository.org/363 ... nture-game. I have installed the game on SheepShaver, but whenever I try to launch it, I get the following error message:
Alert: Waveform device is busy. Please close any other applications using the device and try again.
When I click retry, the message appears again, and when I click cancel, it shuts down SheepShaver entirely. I have tried to locate more information about this alert/error message online without any success. My question is: how do I correct this error and successfully launch and play the game in SheepShaver?

I would greatly appreciate any one's help with this matter. Thank you in advance and have a wonderful rest of your day.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Re: Emulating a Game on SheepShaver

Post by 24bit »

Best try with SheepShaver running MacOS 7.6 and install the Quicktime version provided on the game CD.
That way the game seems to work on my side. Host is macOS Sierra.
Colours must be set to 256 colours for the game, otherwise game screens stay white.

issues with such games may be best discussed on the game´s page.
Its there since 2013: http://macintoshgarden.org/games/rugrats-adventure-game
Koudelka47
Space Cadet

Post by Koudelka47 »

Thank you! I have changed the display settings to 256 colors mode, but I am still having issues with the white screen. Could you possibly let me know how to set the game specifically to 256 colors mode?

I can see the gameplay fine, but the cutscenes are covered in white. Would that be a specific problem with the zip file that I installed or can I fix this by changing the settings in some way? I have tried switching from 256 to another display/color type and back to 256 as suggested by another site, but it just results in SheepShaver completely crashing when I try to run the game. It is just really confusing.

Just for clarification, I downloaded the game from this site https://www.macintoshrepository.org/363 ... nture-game. I am not sure if it is different than the macintoshgarden one, but I just wanted to clarify this point in case it matters.
Koudelka47
Space Cadet

Post by Koudelka47 »

I have received this response from a user from MacintoshGarden.
It's probably the case that cutscenes (movies) fail to cover the white screen, not a white screen covering the movies. This is what QuickTime playback does when it can't find the video codec. Is the version of QT that's in your SS needing update?
This makes sense to me, and I was wondering if anyone can provide any pointers on how to update QT on SS. If not, then I think I may just give up on SheepShaver as a whole for the time being as this is a lot of work to get a game to work correctly. I am disappointed if this does not work out as I was looking forward to playing this game and using SS to hopefully play other older games out there. I am just really confused by the whole process (i.e. why certain things are covered by a white screen and not others).

Just for clarity, I have downloaded the QT version that came with the game itself (which was QT 3.0). Would you recommend another way of emulating this game other than SS, such as Basilisk ll?
I am just curious as I had planned to emulate more games in the future if I can get this all working out. Thank you in advance!
Koudelka47
Space Cadet

Post by Koudelka47 »

I got everything to work out in the end. Turns out I needed to install QT before installing the game for some reason. Anyway, thank you for the help!