default application for printing .ps files keeps changing

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

etkins
Inquisitive Elf

default application for printing .ps files keeps changing

Post by etkins »

After years of not having this problem, I'm now having it every week or so.
When I print .ps files in Sheepshaver, about every third one now comes over to the OSX side and has as its default application Microsoft Messenger. If I don't notice, and just use the apple-O keystroke to open it, it launches MS Messenger. I need Preview to launch to print it.
The first time this happened, I quit Messenger, right-clicked the file, and changed the default application to Preview.
Then it prints fine, and this might hold steady for a few more exported .ps files for printing.
But then it does the same thing, a new exported .ps file will want MS Messenger as its default application, and I have to do the right-click thing again to change.
Why is this happening, and how do I prevent it? I want the .ps files to only open with Preview.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: default application for printing .ps files keeps changin

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The choice for default applications not sticking is usually an issue with the Launch Services database in OSX. You will need to reset Launch Services to its defaults. There are several maintenance utilities for OSX that have an option to clear Launch Services.

Make sure you use a version of such application that is designed to use with your version of OSX!

"Maintenance" is free, from the maker of the more elaborate utility "OnyX".
https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/index.html
etkins
Inquisitive Elf

Re: default application for printing .ps files keeps changin

Post by etkins »

Thank you again for your expert help.