Login  •  Register


The time is now: Mon May 21, 2018 3:08 pm

Emaculation wiki  •  Delete all board cookies



Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]
Print view Previous topic  |  Next topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:43 am 
Offline
Student Driver

Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:32 am
Posts: 16
I recently got a new iMac running Sierra. I'm trying to find a way to play an old game from the 90s that I used to love called Jump Start 4th Grade Haunted Island. I have the CD, but I no longer have the computer it ran on. It won't work with anything later than Mac OS 9. I was able to install SheepShaver with OS 9 and it works, but whatever I try, I can't get the disk to mount. I've tried ISO, DMG, IMG and other formats but I keep getting errors. Is there a way to get around it?
Any help would be enormously appreciated!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:27 am 
Offline
Expert User
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:24 pm
Posts: 4963
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
You do not write exactly how you tried to mount the image in SheepShaver.

Any format should work, as long as it is in a read/write format. The image file should then be locked in the Sierra Finder to convince the software that it is on a (read-only) CD.

Best try an image created in Disk Utility in DVD/CD Master (.cdr) format.

Add the image file to the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences, then quit and start again SheepShaver. Make sure the image is NOT mounted in Sierra.

Macintosh Garden has an .iso disk image of this game for download. It can be mounted fine in both SheepShaver and BasiliskII on my Sierra machine. As the game is 68k, you may also want to try it in BasiliskII.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:06 pm 
Offline
Student Driver

Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:32 am
Posts: 16
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
You do not write exactly how you tried to mount the image in SheepShaver.

Any format should work, as long as it is in a read/write format. The image file should then be locked in the Sierra Finder to convince the software that it is on a (read-only) CD.

Best try an image created in Disk Utility in DVD/CD Master (.cdr) format.

Add the image file to the volumes list in SheepShaver preferences, then quit and start again SheepShaver. Make sure the image is NOT mounted in Sierra.

Macintosh Garden has an .iso disk image of this game for download. It can be mounted fine in both SheepShaver and BasiliskII on my Sierra machine. As the game is 68k, you may also want to try it in BasiliskII.


Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!
I checked out Macintosh Garden and unfortunately that's a different version of the game (Sapphire Falls). I do have an ISO of Jump Start Haunted Island and I locked it in Sierra as you suggest. I copied it to SheepShaver and used Virtual CD manager to "Create CD/DVD Toast image", but I still can't open it as an actual CD. Then I tried adding the ISO to the volumes list in SheepShaver but that seems to have failed too. I keep getting the message "Background script error: Finder got an error: Can't get alias "Unix:SendToMacOS9". Then it just goes into total meltdown and keeps flashing the message until I force quit SheepShaver. Should I copy the ISO to the Mac OS 9 desktop first?
I know I'm missing something major and apologize for my stupidity. I just don't know how to do it correctly. Thanks in advance!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:57 pm 
Offline
Expert User
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:24 pm
Posts: 4963
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
I do not know why your .iso file cannot be mounted the regular way.

Maybe start over. Create a .cdr image from the CD-ROM using Disk Utility. Add that file to the volumes list in SheepShaver prefs.

Using the Virtual DVD-ROM/CD Utility (or VirtualCD Imager, it is referred to by several names) is a next step and only when needed.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:35 pm 
Offline
Student Driver

Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:32 am
Posts: 16
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
I do not know why your .iso file cannot be mounted the regular way.

Maybe start over. Create a .cdr image from the CD-ROM using Disk Utility. Add that file to the volumes list in SheepShaver prefs.

Using the Virtual DVD-ROM/CD Utility (or VirtualCD Imager, it is referred to by several names) is a next step and only when needed.


Tried it again, folllowing the steps you suggest. Still no luck. Keep getting the same message: "Background script error: Finder got an error: Can't get alias "Unix:SendToMacOS9". Not sure what that means.
I copied the .cdr to the Mac OS 9 desktop in SheepShaver and used Disc Copy to mount it. It looked like it mount successfully, but when I tried to open it, it said "disc error." I'm probably missing something but I don't know what it is.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:58 am 
Offline
Expert User
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:24 pm
Posts: 4963
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Yorwick wrote:
I checked out Macintosh Garden and unfortunately that's a different version of the game (Sapphire Falls). I do have an ISO of Jump Start Haunted Island

Maybe you didn't check Macintosh Garden thoroughly enough. Isn't this the game you want:
http://macintoshgarden.org/games/jumpst ... ted-island
This .iso mounts fine in SheepShaver.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:44 pm 
Offline
Student Driver

Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:32 am
Posts: 16
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
Yorwick wrote:
I checked out Macintosh Garden and unfortunately that's a different version of the game (Sapphire Falls). I do have an ISO of Jump Start Haunted Island

Maybe you didn't check Macintosh Garden thoroughly enough. Isn't this the game you want:
http://macintoshgarden.org/games/jumpst ... ted-island
This .iso mounts fine in SheepShaver.


You're absolutely right, that is the game I was looking for! Thank you. To my great frustration, however, when I tried to mount it I got the same error I've been getting - "Background script error: Finder got an error: Can't get alias "Unix:SendToMacOS9". I still don't understand what it means and every time it happens I have to force quit SheepShaver to make it go away. I can't figure out what could be causing this.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:48 pm 
Offline
Forum All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:11 am
Posts: 2108
Location: Emaculation.com
Are you adding the iso on your host in the SheepShaver preferences and rebooting, or are you trying to open the iso through the Unix folder on the guest OS? The error sounds like the second.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:01 pm 
Offline
Student Driver

Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:32 am
Posts: 16
adespoton wrote:
Are you adding the iso on your host in the SheepShaver preferences and rebooting, or are you trying to open the iso through the Unix folder on the guest OS? The error sounds like the second.

Thanks for you reply! No, I'm trying to add the ISO in Preferences and reboot, but I get the error message the instant I save my Preferences. Then when I manage to reboot, the ISO vanishes from Preferences.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:08 pm 
Offline
Expert User
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:24 pm
Posts: 4963
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Please post here the content of your prefs file:

Open Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities/)
Type at the prompt
Code:
open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs
followed by a return.

The prefs file will open in your default text editor. Select all content, copy and paste it here in your reply.

Edit:
Do you keep the iso in the shared folder and is there an alias in the path you enter to the iso file?


Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:26 pm 
Offline
Student Driver

Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:32 am
Posts: 16
Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
Please post here the content of your prefs file:

Open Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities/)
Type at the prompt
Code:
open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs
followed by a return.

The prefs file will open in your default text editor. Select all content, copy and paste it here in your reply.

Edit:
Do you keep the iso in the shared folder and is there an alias in the path you enter to the iso file?


No, I keep the iso on my regular desktop and I don't think there's an alias.

This is what I got from the prefs file:

extfs /
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
serialb /dev/null
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 16777216
frameskip 8
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv false
ignoreillegal false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
keycodes false
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv false
idlewait true


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:03 pm 
Offline
Expert User
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:24 pm
Posts: 4963
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
I see only default values and no further configuration. I do not see any volume, not even a MacOS startup volume.
In your first post you wrote:
Quote:
I was able to install SheepShaver with OS 9 and it works,
How can that be without an OS9 disk?

Could it be that you do not use a regular SheepShaver installation, maybe a SheepShaver virtual machine, or maybe some other pre-configured SheepShaver setup that does not use this prefs file in your Home folder?


Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:20 pm 
Offline
Expert User
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:59 am
Posts: 4309
Location: Sittard, The Netherlands
Quote:
Background script error: Finder got an error: Can't get alias "Unix:SendToMacOS9"


This indicates you are running the SheepShaver wrapper from this page: http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/sheepshaverwrapper.html Correct?

Perhaps reinstall? Anyway, questions about such installations should go into the "Other SheepShaver configurations" subforum: viewforum.php?f=33

Best,
Cat_7


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:33 am 
Offline
Student Driver

Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:32 am
Posts: 16
Cat_7 wrote:
Quote:
Background script error: Finder got an error: Can't get alias "Unix:SendToMacOS9"


This indicates you are running the SheepShaver wrapper from this page: http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/sheepshaverwrapper.html Correct?

Perhaps reinstall? Anyway, questions about such installations should go into the "Other SheepShaver configurations" subforum: viewforum.php?f=33

Best,
Cat_7


Thanks! That's exactly where I got it. I apologize again for my ignorance, but is that a bad thing? Is that why I can't get the iso to work?
I tried to reinstall but nothing changed. Thanks again to everyone who responded, I really appreciate your time and advice. I'll try the "Other SheepShaver configurations" subforum if that's what you suggest.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote Post a reply  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
 

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group