Trouble installing my CD game

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Mrimm
Space Cadet

Trouble installing my CD game

Post by Mrimm »

Hello!

I'm trying to play a 1998 copy of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego that I have on CD. I've downloaded SheepShaver and seem to have set up everything just fine! When I open the CD installer, it opens fine and looks like it's going to work, but when I click install, it flashes a dialogue box too fast for me to see what it says, and then nothing. No matter how many times I click install, it won't move past that point.

I'm doing this on my Macbook running OSX 10.6.8... is there any other info that might help figure this out?

I am super out of my depth here. Any help is appreciated!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Trouble installing my CD game

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Tell us more about your setup. Which SheepShaver build? Which rom file? Which MacOS version? Did you actually install MacOS from an install CD (or from a install CD image) or did you use an image with pre-installed system?

If you used a pre-installed system, which one from where? Did you erroneously lock that image file? (Some who use a pre-installed system misinterpret the instructions for locking an install CD image and lock the pre-installed image.)

Did you choose the correct volume to install the game? How much space is left on that volume?
perspicuouseningma
Space Cadet

Post by perspicuouseningma »

I'm having the exact same issue. I'm using the latest version of Sheepshaver running OS 9, I've got everything unlocked except for the the MACOS iso file, because taking it off read only won't allow me to run the OS (I get an error that says I can't use a copy, so I'm assuming setting it to read only tricks it into thinking it's legit. The program starts, it just won't load the desktop). I don't know what you mean by the correct volume of the game? As I understand, the file works with Sheepshaver and is compatible with OS 9. I have tried installing the previous version of Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego (3.0) and it tells me a temporary file can't be created, either because the disk is locked or it's too full. I don't think it's too full as I'm maxed out on memory (2000 mb).

Thank you so much for your help!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

perspicuouseningma wrote:I've got everything unlocked except for the the MACOS iso file, because taking it off read only won't allow me to run the OS (I get an error that says I can't use a copy, so I'm assuming setting it to read only tricks it into thinking it's legit.!
Exactly what is this MacOS iso file and where did you get it?

If it is an installer disk image, you will need to run the installer and install the system onto the disk image volume that you should have created for that purpose. After the installation is complete, you need to remove the installer image file from the volumes list so SheepShaver can then boot from the installed system.
I don't think it's too full as I'm maxed out on memory (2000 mb)
I suppose you mean the disk image you created, not memory (RAM).

BTW: What is your host system?
perspicuouseningma
Space Cadet

I followed the instructions in this tutorial: http://www.fitzweekly.com/2017/03/how-t ... ws-10.html

The iso came from https://winworldpc.com/download/3e3dc38 ... a4e284a2ef (I just downloaded the first one, Julian)

I... must have missed that when I read the tutorial. Perhaps that is my problem. I removed the iso and am now attempting to set up the OS, but it seems to be stuck on "looking for network devices." Probably because I don't have any? Don't know how to skip it.

Yes, I mean the emulated storage, not my own, oops!

I'm running on Windows 10.
perspicuouseningma
Space Cadet

Shoot, I just realized the OS is a mirror, is that a problem?
perspicuouseningma
Space Cadet

Okay, I got tired of waiting and force-quit. I was able to install the game (hooray!) but starting it gave me several run-time errors, and now the embedded videos within the game aren't working. I'll ask the people who run the site where I got it. Thank you so much for your help!