Cannot run SheepShaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

mbartlett
Space Cadet

Cannot run SheepShaver

Post by mbartlett »

Hi all!
I've been trying tirelessly to get Sheepshaver to run on my mac OS Sierra, and I'm running into a wall.
I've followed the tutorial on redundant robot, as well as the suggested tutorial found on this forum.
Though I have the new world rom (titled "Mac OS ROM") in my Sheepshaver folder, Sheepshaver consistently crashes before opening.
Any advice?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Cannot run SheepShaver

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

See the compatibility notes in the SheepShaver for OSX download topic:
- macOS 10.12 (Sierra) and later
There is an issue with macOS 10.12 Sierra (in fact with an additional new security feature in Sierra) that prevents a newly installed SheepShaver to run. The procedure to get it running is simply to copy the program (only the SheepShaver application itself!) to the desktop, remove the old program in the SheepShaver folder and move the new copy from the desktop to the SheepShaver folder.
(I will add a line there to make sure people will read all information.)
jobex017
Space Cadet

Post by jobex017 »

I'm running into the same issue. I've copied just the application, posted to desktop, removed old application, moved new copy from desktop to SheepShaver folder, but it still won't launch SheepShaver.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Is this a new installation? Did you follow all instructions in the setup guide? Specifically, did you install a compatible ROM file in the SheepShaver folder?