RasPi + Sheepshaver on Boot

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

jdp459
Space Cadet

RasPi + Sheepshaver on Boot

Post by jdp459 »

Hi All,

I have gotten SheepShaver setup with OS 9 on my Rasberry Pi. Ive been struggling to get SheepShaver to start on boot, this is a project for a 3D Printed Vintage Mac, so I wanted it to boot into OS 9. I have a Service Created and working, but it is erroring out with the below message. The executed commands are - cd /home/pi/SheepShaver sudo ./SheepShaver --nogui true this occurs after login and after the GUI has been loaded. Do I need a absolute path to start sheepshaver? Im wondering if I do, and Im a total noob and Im not sure why I have to CD into my SheepShaver folder to start it. Any insight would be super helpful, Ive been scouring the forums/internet most of the afternoon on this.

Code: Select all

macos9.service - Start Mac OS 9
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/macos9.service; enabled; vendor preset>
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2024-01-23 22:42:12 EST; 30mi>
    Process: 637 ExecStart=cd /home/pi/SheepShaver sudo ./SheepShaver --nogui t>
   Main PID: 637 (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)
        CPU: 3ms
Jan 23 22:42:12 MacPi systemd[637]: macos9.service: Failed to locate executable>
Jan 23 22:42:12 MacPi systemd[637]: macos9.service: Failed at step EXEC spawnin>
Jan 23 22:42:12 MacPi systemd[1]: Started Start Mac OS 9.
Jan 23 22:42:12 MacPi systemd[1]: macos9.service: Main process exited, code=exi>
Jan 23 22:42:12 MacPi systemd[1]: macos9.service: Failed with result 'exit-code>
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: RasPi + Sheepshaver on Boot

Post by adespoton »

I'm not familiar with the setup, but shouldn't

cd /home/pi/SheepShaver sudo ./SheepShaver --nogui true
be

cd /home/pi/SheepShaver; sudo ./SheepShaver --nogui true
? And aren't you going to run into issues with the sudo command? Or have you set up your sudoers list such that this account doesn't need to authenticate?
UbuntuXP
Tinkerer

Post by UbuntuXP »

Wouldn't it easier to make a systemd user service instead of a system service and enable auto-login?
"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things."

Doug Gwyn
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

UbuntuXP wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:33 pm Wouldn't it easier to make a systemd user service instead of a system service and enable auto-login?
If they do that, they'll definitely need to authenticate when they attempt to run SheepShaver as root. Why run as root? So they have full network and disk access.

So it all depends on the security posture of this RPi config -- one way or another, it's going to need to run SheepShaver as root, or be OK with limited features.

I don't know the particular distro well enough to know what the safest way to accomplish that is, though.