"Could not be opened, can't find original creator" error even though everything is right

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

whywhywhy
Space Cadet

"Could not be opened, can't find original creator" error even though everything is right

Post by whywhywhy »

Hi
Been using Sheepshaver for years
Always found it to be very buggy when you first start using it. Needs to be fixed.

Im on 10.11 Mac OSX. Yes, I put Stuffit in the OS9 folder, not the shared folder. Still gives me this error.

Did everything it said on the web

Please advise. This should be simple

Again, I downloaded the files from Mac Garden, and put them in the shared folder, then in OS9 I dragged them over to the OS9 hard drive
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: "Could not be opened, can't find original creator" error even though everything is right

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

"Very buggy" is not a clear description. Always use the latest SheepShaver build that is compatible with your host system for best performance. For OS X 10.11 use the 13 September 2022 build. If you encounter a specific bug, you can report it.

You really need to be more specific about the problem that you ask help for. You do not describe exactly what you do that that produces the error. Can't you start a Stuffit application and which application is it? Or do you have a Stuffit application installed and can't you unstuff .sit archives with it?

You write about files downloaded from Macintosh Garden. Which files did you download?
whywhywhy
Space Cadet

Re: "Could not be opened, can't find original creator" error even though everything is right

Post by whywhywhy »

I'm trying to install Stuffit. I am using version 2.5 I place "stuffit_expander_5.5.img" or "stuffit-deluxe-351-sea.bin" into the hard drive I created in Os9 called Os9, and even in the application folder there. Gives me an error that it cant find the original creators. I have tried all the versions of stuffit on Mac garden that aren't sit files (how can I open a sit of stuffit when stuffit isn't installed? catch22)

When I say "very buggy" I mean that strange, opaque occurences like this happen every time I use SheepShaver. I have a dedicated G4 for Os9 so I don't have to deal with it all the time but I need a portable system so now Im back to Sheepshaver.

Once it's SET UP its fantastic don't get me wrong, but playing with the file system stuff is confusing
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Yes, it will not work this way because, indeed, the required software to open the files is not (yet) installed in OS9.

The easiest way is using "stuffit_expander_5.5.img". Do not move this file into SheepShaver/OS9, but leave it on the host. You can trash it from the OS9 HD and move it from the shared folder on the host side to a different location.

In SheepShaver settings add the file to the volumes list, save the change and quit SheepShaver. At next launch of SheepShaver, the disk will appear on the desktop and you can install Stuffit Expander from that disk.

BTW 1: This procedure is also explained on the download page on Macintosh Garden. It is equivalent to inserting the physical disk into the floppy drive on an old Mac.

BTW 2: You can unstuff sit files on the host side. I use "The Unarchiver".
whywhywhy
Space Cadet

Post by whywhywhy »

Unfortunately that did not work. So I placed the img file in the volumes, and it doesn't appear in Sheepshaver. In my shared Unix folder there is the stuffit img, but it says it can't find the original creator.

EDIT: I managed to solve it simply by replacing the SheepShaver app with a different download. Thanks for your help!
Last edited by whywhywhy on Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.