Please Insert the install disc. Diablo II

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Thibault_theduch
Space Cadet

Please Insert the install disc. Diablo II

Post by Thibault_theduch »

Hi all !
I'm new here, I've recently installed SheepShaver 2.4 with OS 9.0.4 (.iso)
I have a 4cd box set of the game Diablo 2 + LOD but no way to read them,
I thought it would try to get the install folders or dmg from an online source and simply put the serial from my cd licence.
I found an obscure version with dmg and patch for osx (ppc)

4 dmgs with : installation cd / play / cinematics / LOD + other ones for osx patches

I extracted their content (os classic installers) and created a .cdr version that I locked and linked into the pref of SS. When I start the os9 I successfully see the cds with their respective content but when I try running the installer I get the message : "Please insert install disc." I tried also creating .img from the os9 with the virtual cd app. but it behave exactly the same.

Do you think the problem comes from the dmgs I found ?
Or is it something with SS or my setup... I'm not an expert
I'm gonna try to do the same thing creating virtual cds from the actual cds I have when I find a cd player.

Thank you !
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Please Insert the install disc. Diablo II

Post by adespoton »

You should put the CDRs in your shared folder and mount them from within SheepShaver using http://www.emaculation.com/basilisk/Vir ... v1.0d0.sit

This way they'll be treated as CDs instead of attached HDDs.
Thibault_theduch
Space Cadet

Thanks for the answer, unfortunately, they are already red as CDs...
I tried both ways, using virtual cd to mount them and putting the .cdr directly in the list of volumes in the SS pref. both mount the cds well, but I still get that error message...
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

SheepShaver doesn't present disk images to the OS as CDs. The wiki on this site deals with the issue, and instructs you to take the disk images and mount them inside the OS using the Virtual CD tool.

The error you're seeing indicates the OS is not recognizing the images as CDs, bearing out my point.

The only other thing you could try is locking the image on the host system before booting SheepShaver.

Or, you could try re-imaging your CDs.

What host OS are you running?

[edit] guessing OS X. You can use dd from the command line to image the discs instead of Disk Utility; it will likely do a better job if there's some disc-level copy protection going on here.
Thibault_theduch
Space Cadet

So the installation worked finally, I used a .toast that I mounted in SS with virtual CD
It was a different "volume" I think the previous one that I used (originally a .dmg) was not good

Even not working I need to point that when you create outside SS a .cdr that you add it in the list of the volumes and then boot it appears and red as a cd, mine was not functional but it seems its a way to run cds.

I used virtual cd with the same .dmg before (transferring the content in a folder in "shared" and then using the app for creating a rom and mounting it) the mounting was working fine also but not succeeding to run the install program so I think it was probably more the files themselves than the method of mounting the cd on SS...

With that new .toast file > mounted with virtual CD it ran perfectly, now I need to do the same with the "Play CD"
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Ah; DMGs aren't the same as CDRs. You need to image it as a CD/DVD Master, otherwise it gets stored as a HD image or compressed HD image, and won't mount as a CD. This doesn't mean it can't be loaded and some of the data read off it, but the emulator and OS software won't recognize it as a physical CD that's been inserted, resulting in the error you saw.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Note that SheepShaver for OSX/macOS builds from current cebix/macemu source can mount any image as CD-ROM. In the volumes list in preferences one can specify which volumes should be mounted as CD-ROM. At the next SheepShaver launch, those volume will be mounted as non-writeable CD and if an image was created from a game CD, the game software will accept it as being the original CD. A test build was posted by me here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9613
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Good point, and thanks for fixing that! Windows and Linux can't do that, but in this case, we're talking OS X, so the new build should work without having to mount internally.