64-bit applications only in next Mac Update

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

drjohntas
Space Cadet

64-bit applications only in next Mac Update

Post by drjohntas »

I have just learned that Apple will abandon 32-bit applications later this year.... may be as soon as June.
I am still using Hypercard to run my business ... so loss of Sheepshaver (I use Chubby Bunny to run Sheepshaver) is a looming disaster unless I stop updating OSX
Is this the end.. or are 64 bit versions of these apps likely to be developed?
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: 64-bit applications only in next Mac Update

Post by Cat_7 »

If no 64 bit SheepShaver is available by that time, you will have Qemu as an alternative. While perhaps currently not as fast or sophisticated as SheepShaver, it is 64 bit and stable.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Apple tells us that in the next macOS version, expected this fall, 32-bit applications will not run "without compromise". It is not clear what this means exactly. Current OSX SheepShaver builds from cebix-macemu source are 32-bit and may or may not run in that next macOS version. Attempts are made to make a 64-bit SheepShaver that will run on more recent macOS. The results are not yet complete feature wise, and the code is not yet added to the cebix-macemu source.

Similar attempts are made to replace the old SDL 1.2, that some SheepShaver builds depend on, with the newer SDL 2.0.

If SheepShaver is to survive on macOS platform, it is indeed essential that 64-bit builds will eventually be available. Problem is that there is no centrally coordinated development of these emulators. Development depends on various programmers who take an interest in devoting time and effort to contribute. At present more attention is given to the development of QEMU that promises to be the future for PPC emulation.
macman
Space Cadet

Post by macman »

I also depend on SheepShaver and hope there is some nice person out there who can make a 64-bit version!