Sheepshaver with Bandai Pippin and Dragon Ball

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Naruke
Space Cadet

Sheepshaver with Bandai Pippin and Dragon Ball

Post by Naruke »

Hello. I know, maybe, this question could been done many times.. but I tryed to search something and I didnt got answers.
I'd like to know if there is a way to run this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_hOl0icxcE on Sheepshaver.
I tryed many stuffs but I always got the error "Rom uncompatible type".
I have Windows 10 64bit and I know there are issues to run Sheepshaver on 64bit OS, so I did a VirtualPC with a Windows XP 32bit.
Any tips?
Thanks
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Sheepshaver with Bandai Pippin and Dragon Ball

Post by adespoton »

The only emulator that runs Pippin is MESS.

However, you may succeed in getting SheepShaver running 7.5.2 to run some titles with a PPC 603-based ROM (but not the one from a Pippin). I'd start off by trying with an early PPC ROM and work your way up. It'd have to be an old world ROM though, not one of the new world ones. The smiley mac should come up in black and white, not colour.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Much depends on a given Pippin app whether it will work in SheepShaver.
I made a DiskCopy 6 image from the bin/cue on Max1zzz´server and the app works with SheepShaver
The the .img is at MacGarden right now. http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/dragon-ball-z
Please add missing details you may find useful.
NewWorld or OldWorld ROM for SheepShaver do not seem to matter.
Both of them are hosted at the RedundantRobot site and other places.
Dragon Ball is coded 68k only so it works with Basilisk II as well, some fonts seem to be missing for BII on my side though.
Naruke
Space Cadet

Post by Naruke »

As I read I need to put Mac OS 9 to try to let it run because there isnt a real Pippin Rom Dumped directly. Right?

EDIT: I did it. I just installed Mac OS 9 che putted the .img inside it and I can run it propely.
Reallt thanks :D
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Glad it worked for you!
Just for your info: There are dumped Pippin ROMS, e.g. here - but they are useless for SheepShaver:
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macintosh-rom-archive

SheepShaver, to my knowledge, was developed by making use of a PPC8600/PPC9600 Mac ROM.
Those are included in the page linked above too. Most of the ROM is patched at SS startup though.
The NewWorldROM given away by Apple for the early G3 iMacs is good for SS as well, with some small limitations.

Are you aware of the original Anime Software eventually?
From what I gathered Dragon Ball was licensed to Bandai/Pippin only.
Maybe one reason why the app is performing nicely in SheepShaver.