Matching keyboard in sheepshaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

Thibault_theduch
Space Cadet

Matching keyboard in sheepshaver

Post by Thibault_theduch »

Hi all,

I'm using Sheepshaver on a MacBook pro (french keyboard AZERTY)
I'm trying to find a solution to sync the keyboard on OS 9 as it says it recognizes an "Apple Extended Keyboard II" which doesn't match with my laptop keys...

It partially works but some keys are missing when I'm on a game (Diablo II for example)

In the game, the keys are acting weirdly and for instance, it's impossible to type "/" this key...

Anyone knows?

Thanks !
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Matching keyboard in sheepshaver

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

1. You need the file "keycodes" (included in the SheepShaver download)
2. In SheepShaver Preferences > Miscellaneous, "Use Raw Keycodes" should be checked and the keycodes file needs to be referenced in the box next to it.
Note: After making changes in Preferences, quit SheepShaver and launch it again!
3. On the host your AZERTY keyboard needs to be selected in System Preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources (Préférences Système > Clavier > Méthodes de saisie) (as it probably is).
4. In OS 9 in SheepShaver you then need to select in Keyboard control panel the AZERTY keyboard that closest resembles your actual keyboard. (In OS 9 two different French AZERTY keyboards are available.)
Thibault_theduch
Space Cadet

Thank you for the answer, I have the keycodes file,
I have a silly question that remains... my sheepshaver is in Full screen mode and I don't remember how to access the option of the software... it lauches the OS directly now :roll:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Control-Return toggles between full-screen mode and window mode.
Thibault_theduch
Space Cadet

Oh thank you ! Works like a charm now !
petergrigorian
Space Cadet

Post by petergrigorian »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 6:50 pm 1. You need the file "keycodes" (included in the SheepShaver download)
2. In SheepShaver Preferences > Miscellaneous, "Use Raw Keycodes" should be checked and the keycodes file needs to be referenced in the box next to it.
Note: After making changes in Preferences, quit SheepShaver and launch it again!
3. On the host your AZERTY keyboard needs to be selected in System Preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources (Préférences Système > Clavier > Méthodes de saisie) (as it probably is).
4. In OS 9 in SheepShaver you then need to select in Keyboard control panel the AZERTY keyboard that closest resembles your actual keyboard. (In OS 9 two different French AZERTY keyboards are available.)
hey yup again!
but where should I look for this file hey?
I downloaded Sheepshaver .zip, ran Mac OS 9 (finally), but can't connect RAW Keycodes.
Pls help me)
Sorry( :sad:
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

That information is outdated.

Do you use SheepShaver for macOS? Then the keycodes file is in the SheepShaver Folder you downloaded for the setup.