Pasting from Catalina into SheepSaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

TheMilosh
Space Cadet

Pasting from Catalina into SheepSaver

Post by TheMilosh »

I am trying to paste from Excel (running in Catalina) into DeltaGraph (anyone remember that program?) running in SheepShaver. The first numbers I paste works, but after that, the clipboard doesn't seem to get replaced with anything else I try to copy. Every copy/paste just continues to paste the initially copied numbers. Any thoughts? Am I limited on what I can paste from OS X into OS9 via SheepShaver?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: Pasting from Catalina into SheepSaver

Post by emendelson »

This is just a guess, because I can't reproduce the problem:

Try clicking on the SheepShaver desktop after you copy the new material from the host and before you try to paste into SheepShaver.
TheMilosh
Space Cadet

Post by TheMilosh »

It appears it may be application dependent. Copy/paste works perfectly in SimpleText, but doesn't work in DeltaGraph for some reason. It just keeps pasting the first thing I copied no matter how many times I try to copy something else.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I explored the various copy-paste options and issues in SheepShaver years ago. I forgot the details, but it does indeed work with some applications and not with other applications. This involves both applications on the host and on the guest system. Also some combinations work and some don't.

What mostly works is using a plain text editor as intermediate, either on the host or on the guest system, or on both, like SimpleText in MacOS and TextEdit (set to plain text) in OSX/macOS.

I noted some workarounds at time, but I forgot what they were as years go by without anyone complaining about copy/paste issues. I will see if I can find that old discussion.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Found it. The trick is to refresh the clipboard content in SheepShaver/MacOS. That can done by opening the Clipboard window in the Finder. If you leave the Clipboard window open, clicking the desktop will refresh the clipboard content. It worked in 2013, I expect it to still work now. See this post and replies:

https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... 702#p46702