Run game in Mac OS9 with Sheepshaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

bobbyboy
Space Cadet

Run game in Mac OS9 with Sheepshaver

Post by bobbyboy »

I am trying to figure out how to play my favorite childhood game "Greebles" and for my life I can't figure it out.

I'm have OS 10.11.6 right now, and I am using sheepshaver 2.5 to emulate Mac OS 9.0.4, which I have successfully done and everything seems to be working fine. I gave it 1000Mb of space and 512 for RAM, which should be way more than enough.
I then downloaded "Greebles" from a number of websites and they all download as a .sit file, which expands into a folder containing the game, which is supposed to be compatible with Mac OS 7 - 9.

When I navigate to this application through the "unix" folder in my sheepshaver OS9, the icon shows up as a script (a hand writing on a piece of paper, rather than the Greebles logo) and when I try to open it i get a message that reads: "Failed to startup (-1856)"

Does anyone know what this error means or what I am doing wrong? I can't believe nobody has updated this game or rereleased it, it is such a cool game and I'm dying to play it!

Thanks
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: Run game in Mac OS9 with Sheepshaver

Post by emendelson »

Many programs won't run from the Unix folder. Drag the whole thing to the emulated hard disk image in SheepShaver - NOT to the SheepShaver desktop - and run it from there.

If you drag it to the desktop, you're not actually moving it away from the Unix folder. You have to move it into a folder inside the hard disk image in SheepShaver (or a folder that you create on the SheepShaver desktop, which will act like a folder in the hard disk image).
bobbyboy
Space Cadet

Post by bobbyboy »

Thanks for the reply, I tried moving it to the emulated harddrive, emulated applications folder, and a created folder on the emulated desktop. Each one had the same result, strange icon and the same error message as before...
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Try asking the question again on the SheepShaver forum, where you may get a more knowledgeable answer than I can give.
peter_j
Tinkerer

Post by peter_j »

I tried it. I got the same error ( Win10 SheepShaver_06-05-2013 ) under 9.04. It does run under 8.5.

If you didn't, you need to unstuff the .sit file on a hard disk image within the emulator - that might fix your icons up. As emendelson has said.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

bobbyboy wrote:I gave it 1000Mb of space and 512 for RAM, which should be way more than enough.
It's possible that is actually too much and that the game does not know how to handle that much RAM and empty space. It might work with more reasonable values, like maybe 200 MB of space and 64 MB of RAM.

Alternatively, it looks like it might be a "FAT binary", in which case it will work in Basilisk II.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you were already indeed successful over here.
https://emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9985