How to zap pram from SheepShaver preferences pane?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

emendelson
Forum All-Star

How to zap pram from SheepShaver preferences pane?

Post by emendelson »

I'm working on a custom build of SheepShaver and I would like it to have an option on the Preferences panel to zap the PRAM. This would work this way: it would delete the ~/.sheepshaver_nvram file and then set a flag that tells SheepShaver NOT to write a new PRAM file when it exits.

There's a function named ZapPRAM already in the code, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I think I've managed to create a function named DeleteXPRAM that works like LoadXPRAM, but removes the file instead of reading it, but I haven't been able to test whether it works because I don't know enough.

Has anyone already worked on this problem? The old GTK prefs file deleted the PRAM file before launching SheepShaver, but the built-in prefs are only available after SheepShaver starts, so it needs to do something more complicated.

If anyone has any insights, I'll be grateful.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: How to zap pram from SheepShaver preferences pane?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

emendelson wrote:but I haven't been able to test whether it works because I don't know enough.
Can't you check this while viewing the home folder with hidden files visible? You can see the nvram file disappear and/or re-appear in the home folder window.

(BTW: In latest couple of macOS versions you can toggle visibility of hidden files in the frontmost Finder window with command-shift-. (command-shift-dot).)
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: How to zap pram from SheepShaver preferences pane?

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote:
emendelson wrote:but I haven't been able to test whether it works because I don't know enough.
Can't you check this while viewing the home folder with hidden files visible? You can see the nvram file disappear and/or re-appear in the home folder window.

(BTW: In latest couple of macOS versions you can toggle visibility of hidden files in the frontmost Finder window with command-shift-. (command-shift-dot).)
Apologies for being unclear: I meant only that I wasn't able to figure out exactly how to run that routine. As you say, it's easy to figure out whether the file has been deleted or not!