Where now Mac OS Mojave and Chubby Bunny

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

drjohntas
Space Cadet

Where now Mac OS Mojave and Chubby Bunny

Post by drjohntas »

Chubby Bunny allowed me to easily set-up OS 9 and keep my Hypercard business software running on my OSX Macs.
Now with OS Mojave arriving and the implied threat to make life hard for 32 bit apps.. I am of course anxious to upgrade to 64 bit Sheepshaver.
I am not that computer literate... so .. is this an option and how hard to achieve.
I run my emulator on a recent Imac .. iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Where now Mac OS Mojave and Chubby Bunny

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

There is an easy way where you can use a newer version of SheepShaver with the Chubby Bunny files while leaving Chubby Bunny in place. After you start using the new SheepShaver application, you need then to be careful not to move, delete or start Chubby Bunny itself ever.

And there is a cleaner and better way to set up the new SheepShaver, preferably as self-contained virtual machine, using the HD image and ROM file that can be copied from the Chubby Bunny package.

I would advise the second option, although it is a little more complicated. I can guide you through the process.

Which option do you want to try?
Zyg4
Space Cadet

Post by Zyg4 »

I'm about to update to macOS Mojave on a MacBook Pro currently running High Sierra. I've been transferring (via migration assistant) my Mac account from computer to computer for several years. All this time, my first installation of SheepShaver v. 2.3 running Classic-On-Intel v. 4.01 has worked flawlessly (only once, under High Sierra, I got a warning saying that SheepShaver wasn't optimized, but it worked well after that). Now, will SheepShaver work well under Mojave? I don't remember how i installed COI/Chubby Bunny as it was done many Macs ago, and can't remember how I installed the Classic apps I need (StatView is one them), but can probably go thru it again. I'm just worried that SheepShaver/COI may not work. Any hints before I upgrade to Mojave? Thank you.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I do not know if COI will run in Mojave, it will probably still run. If it does not, you can choose which of the two options I mentioned above you want to try to run a newer SheepShaver with the files you used in COI. With both options all your installed Classic applications will still be there.
Zyg4
Space Cadet

Post by Zyg4 »

Thank you very much. I'll upgrade and 'report' my results back here.
Zyg4
Space Cadet

Post by Zyg4 »

Just to report back here: I've upgraded to Mojave (macOS 10.14.1) on a MacBook Pro (2017, 15'', 16GB, 3.1Ghz, i7) and my installation of Chubby Bunny (4.0.1) / SheepShaver (2.3) works perfectly.