Requests for SheepShaver's 20th Anniversary

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

CorporalPig22
Inquisitive Elf

Requests for SheepShaver's 20th Anniversary

Post by CorporalPig22 »

Since SheepShaver has reached its 20th birthday, I have some requests to help improve and further expand SS:
a. Support for Mac OS 9.1/9.2.x (I don't want them to feel left out....)
b. An iOS/Android port (because since Basilisk II and Mini vMac already have mobile ports, we just need a mobile version of SS in order to complete the trifecta)
c. 3D graphics support (for games like Toy Story 2)
d. I'm getting kinda sick of SS only supporting Power Mac ROMs as it makes it quite difficult to install most games, so how about the addition of iMac (specifically G3/DV) ROM support (if there are any, that is)?
e. Bug fixes (of course), and lots of 'em, such as the desktop crash I wrote about in a separate post.
f. If the "?" disk screen appears, it should close SS after 30 seconds, as this has caused a problem in fullscreen. I tried running SS like this in Windows 2000 (it was in VirtualBox since I don't have a computer that's capable of running Win2K), but said screen appeared and since I can't close SS from fullscreen and the disk just stayed there, I had to hard reset the VM to close SS (Edit: The "?" screen showed because I didn't have cdenable.sys or whatever the heck it's called).
g. On that little topic alone, how about adding a fullscreen window bar to fullscreen mode? (ya know, like most browsers and apps have in fullscreen mode)
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Re: Requests for SheepShaver's 20th Anniversary

Post by Jorpho »

It has been so long that at this point it seems quite hopeless to expect further major development of Sheepshaver, or the creation of any major new replacement. It seems QEMU is the future.
I'm getting kinda sick of SS only supporting Power Mac ROMs as it makes it quite difficult to install most games, so how about the addition of iMac (specifically G3/DV) ROM support (if there are any, that is)?
As per https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_setup , it supports the New World ROM extracted from a MacOS update. (Perhaps it would be useful if there was some sort of Windows port of TomeViewer, but at this point it is hardly difficult to find a suitable ROM floating around the Internet.) In what sense does it make it difficult to install games?

In any case, it does not appear that the G3 supports versions of MacOS prior to 9.1.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

A Droid port would sure be nice to have and the SDL "loader" for BasiliskII looks good.
It should be doable to use that with a SheepShaver Linux build, but its way above my head to put things together and make them work, sadly.

A G3 ROM is useless for SheepShaver methinks.
Remember that SS is partially emulating a PPC 603, which has not much in common with the later PPC 740.

Games for G3 Macs usually were made for dedicated ATI graphics.
Such GPU was not available with PPC 603 Macs IIRC, therefore it will be quite improbable for such a emulation to happen.

it won´t harm to wish, but I do second the QEMU advice.
i886
Space Cadet

Post by i886 »

It's a very good idea for me ! :wink: :!: