Login  •  Register

The time is now: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:38 am

Emaculation wiki  •  Delete all board cookies

Print view Previous topic  |  Next topic
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:18 pm 
Space Cadet

I’ll go to the point, I’m going to update this post later.

I don’t know if I’m in the right place or not. But since I know SheepShaver I decided to write here.

Sure this isn’t something new.
I want (!) old PPC Macintosh software run natively on new Mac OSes.
That’s it.

Rosetta for the new Macintosh.

Please, help me. Write everything you know about it.

Thank you.

Reply with quote Post a reply  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:46 am 
Inquisitive Elf

I don't think that is possible, because PPC and x86 are so different.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:18 am 
Apple Corer

Hasn't there been a project or something long ago to make Rosetta run on OS X beyond Snow Leopard, but never succeeded? I can't find anything on the web regarding that.

There is some information on PowerPC to X86 binary translation on http://www.cse.iitd.ernet.in/~sbansal/pubs/osdi08_html/index.html. I don't understand half of what it says there, but I think it doesn't look very promising as far as doing this on an OS X/macOS system.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:33 pm 
Forum All-Star

From what I heard back in the days, it was proven impossible to make Rosetta run even with 10.7 Lion.
There are some stubs or left-overs from Snow Leo so it was thought of doable - which it was not, sadly.
As of today, you may run OSX 10.5 or 10.6 in VMWare.
That way you may still run some PPC only apps fairly easy.

See here for 10.5 Server: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os-x-server-105
A little further down, 8th comment or so, is a a link for a ready made VMWare appliance found on the net years ago.
The VMWare appliance woks on my side in macOS Sierra (Sandy Bridge or Xeon X3210), VMWare Fusion 10.
Maybe a starting point?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:59 pm 
Forum All-Star

The problem with getting Rosetta to run with 10.7+ was partially a licensing thing; Apple wasn't licensing it after 10.6, so they pulled the framework from 10.7 that supported it on the OS side, and also added in some checks to prevent it from working for those enterprising souls who attempt to move the Rosetta framework over.

There was a project started back around 2013 to try and take SheepShaver and do something "Rosetta-like" with it for 10.7+, but there's a bunch of components totally missing from the OS with the move to a 64-bit architecture (Rosetta was PPC to 32-bit Intel only) that would have had to be written -- so above the issue of changing hardware architectures and doing JIT translation/emulation from PPC to Intel, there was also the hurdle of getting 32-bit code running as 64-bit (Intel currently does much of the heavy lifting for this in hardware, but some of the bits depend on the OS, and Apple's no longer supporting the code needed to do this and will soon retire it altogether).

So instead, what I do is wrap SheepShaver or QEMU (or BII or Mini vMac) around any specific software I want to run; really easy for games, where instead of booting to Finder, I boot to the game itself, and then capture quit with an applescript that both quits and shuts down. I haven't found much use for this with OS X PPC software as there's generally better software equivalents for all OS X PPC software already available for Intel; but eventually I'll probably find something. In the meantime, I run 10.6.8 in a VM, which allows me to run pretty much everything written for 10.2 through 10.6. I'm kind of worried about what's going to happen when Apple finally drops 32-bit support, as that may mean that VMs will no longer be able to boot 32-bit OSes and we'll need yet another emulator.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:26 pm 
Space Cadet

Thank you for your replies.

I love SheepShaver and my new Mac OS 9. But I cannot think about how all this is possible in 2018!

We are talking about software written twenty years ago and still there is nobody in the world that succeeded in doing this?

I know, nobody cares about PowerPC and "old" software. But take as example Age of Empires II. There is NO Age of Empires II available for Macintosh if not the one for PowerPC Macs.

... I don’t want to install Windows on my Mac only for this game.
I’m sure Age is not the only program they did not make an Intel version of.

Bye, thank you for reading my outburst.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:17 pm 
Forum All-Star

Age of Empires II runs just fine under WineSkin AFAIK; no need to install Windows. It also runs just fine under VirtualBox, VMWare Fusion, or Parallels Desktop Lite running Snow Leopard.

There's all sorts of software that doesn't run natively under modern OSes -- but it works fine under emulation.

It's highly unlikely someone is going to create an entire run-time framework for a modern OS to run older software when there are already other methods available for doing so.