Why does SheepShaver simply not work?

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

mjz2325
Space Cadet

Why does SheepShaver simply not work?

Post by mjz2325 »

Hello Community. I just joined, because I'm trying to run some Classic MacOS programs on a MacBook Pro, running MacOS X El Capitan. I have downloaded SheepShaver three times, and it simply does nothing when I open it. It also requires a Classic MacOS disc, which I do have, and a ROM image, which I can probably download. The problem is that it doesn't even ask for a disc or a ROM image - it just does nothing. So, my first question is as per my post title - why does SheepShaver simply not work? My second question is - why is it so unnecessarily complicated, i.e. why can it not be a straightforward program that you simply install, without the need for all the extras, as with emulation programs for other systems? My last question is are there any other Classic MacOS emulators that are more straightforward?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Why does SheepShaver simply not work?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

SheepShaver will quit on launch when there is no compatible ROM file with the name Mac OS ROM in the same folder.

Read the setup guide carefully and follow the instructions: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... os_x_setup

Alternatively, you can try emendelson's standalone SheepShaver wrapper: http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/SheepShaverWrapper.zip
Whether the wrapper is easier to use is, in my opinion, a matter of taste.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason:  
mjz2325
Space Cadet

Post by mjz2325 »

Thanks for the replies. I've installed the wrapper - http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/macos9osx.html - and it works great. :-)
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

That isn't the wrapper that Ronald was referring to, which requires installation, but it's an easier alternative.
classicmacreborn
Inquisitive Elf

Post by classicmacreborn »

SS is definitely the easiest to set up. There is QEMU, but setup is a lot harder and requires some work in CLI. Also, getting all the flags right is a pain.

The easiest way to get SS working is to find a pre-built package. If you're really into classic mac emulation, it's better to learn to install the OS yourself. Which is relatively straightforward if you use tutorials. But something tells me you just want to get it working. I know people around here will tell you to use your storebought disc. But honestly I mean it's the 21st century, sorry.

But yeah forget everything I just said and use your storebought disc :lol: :lol: :lol: