Old game does not run in SheepShaver.

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

moogly
Space Cadet

Old game does not run in SheepShaver.

Post by moogly »

Hi,
First sorry for my english, it's not my mother langage, so please be indulgent. And thank you for all you have already done

Here the problem :
I use Mac OS X - down load MAC OS 9.0.4 and set up exactly how this good tutorial said to do it :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQAf7GII9NY
Work good - can use mac OS 9 in the window

Now i try to play this game... : https://www.macintoshrepository.org/5473-greebles
So after reading the tutorial : https://emaculation.com/doku.php/sheeps ... l_features
I copy the game (placed in the share folder of my mac os X) by starting mac os 9, go to the share folder, holding option and slide the game's folder to deskop of the Mac OS 9. And then trie to start
But murphy's laws .... the mac os 9 said : "failed to startup error (-1856)."
I spend 5 hours triyng to find a solution, but can not. Sorry to ask maybe a stupid request.

PS: i read about virtual disque... but do not really understand the point
Hope you can help me... thank you
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Old game does not run in SheepShaver.

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The game should run fine in SheepShaver. You have the folder "Greebles 1.0" (three files in it) in your shared folder. Then, in MacOS9 you copy it from "Unix" to the desktop while holding the option key. You did make sure to keep the option key pressed until after you dropped the folder on the desktop? Then you did everything as it should be done. But trying to launch the application Greebles inside the copied folder gives you the error. Strange error, because you are are not trying to startup, you try to start or launch an application.

I do not know the youtube tutorial you followed and I do not have the patience to watch it all the way to see if it is correct. Please post here the content of your prefs file so we can see how your SheepShaver is set up.

Launch Terminal (in /Application/Utilities/) and type at the prompt

Code: Select all

open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs
followed by a return.
The file will open in your default text editor. Select all content and copy and paste it here in your reply.
moogly
Space Cadet

Post by moogly »

It's when i tried to launch the game on macos9 than it send me the error message. ( the option key still pressed until i dropped the folder when i copied on the deskop from the share folder)

Here the pref (by terminal) :

disk MacOS9
cdrom /dev/poll/cdrom
cdrom Mac OS ROM.toast
extfs /
screen win/1024/768
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala
serialb /dev/null
rom
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 268435456
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal true
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
hardcursor false
hotkey 0
scale_nearest false
scale_integer false
cpuclock 0
yearofs 0
dayofs 0
ether
keycodes true
keycodefile keycodes
mousewheelmode 0
mousewheellines 1
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true

I did one more time exactly what your tutorial said, but the problem stay the same. Thank you for your time. I appreciate
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I notice that the ROM file is not defined. That is not a problem as long as the file is named "Mac OS ROM" and is in the same folder as SheepShaver application. This is probably the case, otherwise SheepShaver would not run. Still, better also add it in preferences (see our setup manual).

I also notice that you have your entire host harddisk assigned as shared folder. Better do not do that. Create a folder to be the shared folder and choose that one as "Unix Root" in preferences. (Again, see our setup manual.)

And you did not choose a network interface, but maybe you are not interested in accessing internet from within MacOS9.

But what is that CDROM entry with name "Mac OS ROM.toast"? Is it a MacOS installation CD that maybe you erroneously renamed Mac OS ROM? Did you actually use the installer to install MacOS on a disk you created? On the MacOS9 image? If so, better remove that .toast image from the volumes list in preferences.

If SheepShaver will then start up from the installed system, we can be sure the installation was successful.
24bit
Forum All-Star

Post by 24bit »

Greebles is hosted here for ten years now: http://macintoshgarden.org/games/greebles
The game is working with MiniVMac II, Basilisk II and SheepShaver.
It will most likely work with Qemu OS9 as well, but I did not try.