setting desktop size in SheepShaver

About SheepShaver, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, MacOS X, and Linux that can run System 7.5.3 to MacOS 9.0.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg, ClockWise

dickplotz
Inquisitive Elf

setting desktop size in SheepShaver

Post by dickplotz »

I haven't found an answer to this in the documentation or the forums, but I may have missed it.

I've been using SheepShaver on a 2014 MacBook Pro running OS X 10.9.5. I've just migrated that computer's data to a new MacBook Pro running OS X 10.14.1, so I needed to download the current version of SheepShaver...which, fortunately, runs.

But I'm still limited by the size of the OS 9 desktop window, which is, I think, the same as the screen of a 128K Mac, 512X342 pixels. I've tried following the instructions in the SheepShaver documentation for setting the desktop size using the Preferences dialog. But the instructions I've seen refer to clicking "Save" once I select the desktop size I want, and the accompanying screenshots show a Save button.

My Preferences dialog has no Save button.

Simply entering a desktop size and closing the Preferences dialog has no effect.

I'm obviously missing something, but what?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: setting desktop size in SheepShaver

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The Save button was changed to "Save and Quit" to remind the user that SheepShaver should be quit and shut down after saving changes in preferences.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
dickplotz
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dickplotz »

There's no button at all. I tried just closing the dialog, quitting SheepShaver, and opening it again, but there were no changes.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

That is strange. At the bottom-right of the panel should be a "Cancel" button and a "Save and Quit" button. Is the "Cancel" button present?

I suppose, with "current version of SheepShaver" you mean the 1 April 2019 build?

Maybe you happen to use the old and obsolete SheepShaverPrefs application? Use the built-in prefs editor in SheepShaver. With SheepShaver running, choose "Preferences..." from the SheepShaver menu.

Edit:
After you changed the window size in SheepShaver preferences and quit and relaunched SheepShaver, you may need to set the resolution accordingly in the Monitors control panel in MacOS inside SheepShaver.

BTW:
Your new MacBook Pro runs macOS 10.14.1. Maybe you should update the OS to the current macOS 10.14.4. The early 10.14.1 is still full of issues, some serious.
(Since 10.12 Sierra the OS is called "macOS", not OSX anymore.)
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
dickplotz
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dickplotz »

Thanks, I’ll do that. Funny, Apple didn’t tell me to upgrade two days ago when I bought the new computer....
dickplotz
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dickplotz »

I just tried using the old version of SheepShaver (Chubby Bunny), OS X (yes still!) 10.9.5, and there are no buttons. I took a screenshot, but I don't see a way to attach it.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Chubby Bunny is an ancient third party build of SheepShaver; I'm guessing you're not using the actual SheepShaver as provided on this site, but someone else's all-in-one solution that sets everything up for you?

Download the April 1 build available on this site, and follow the setup instructions in the Wiki, and you should be somewhat future-proofed as well.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

dickplotz wrote:I just tried using the old version of SheepShaver (Chubby Bunny), OS X (yes still!) 10.9.5, and there are no buttons.
Do not use Chubby Bunny but use the regular SheepShaver application, preferably the 1 April build (see adespoton's remark above).
there are no buttons
I do not understand what you are talking about. As far as I know, there is no preferences editor in Chubby Bunny.

If your preferences window looks like this

then you are using the SheepShaverPrefs application.
Again, as I wrote earlier, do not use that application!
Instead, use the Preferences that are built-in in SheepShaver application itself, as I wrote before and as is described in the setup manual.
dickplotz
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dickplotz »

I see the problem now, I think. I got as far as

"If you have an existing SheepShaver setup, you can simply replace the application with the new application."

So I did that. But since my earlier setup was Chubby Bunny, the new application didn't provide all the functionality I was expecting. Now I'm starting from scratch, which I hope will make the difference.

The screen you showed is what I see. But I got to it by opening SheepShaver and selecting "Preferences..." from the SheepShaver menu. I don't think it's a separate app.

Sorry to be so clueless. I'm used to just running programs on the Mac. This is a little more under the hood than I usually get to, and you're the only reliable source of information about it that I know.
dickplotz
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dickplotz »

OK, I followed the instructions up to step 6, clicking "Save and Quit" I had changed the desktop size from the 1280X960 that I think is the 128K Mac size to 1600X1200. But then I was able to quit SheepShaver by using the close button on the window and clicking "Shut Down". I didn't use ctrl-esc to quit. I did get the prompt to initialize the volume, which I did.

But when I start SheepShaver now, I don't see an installer “Mac OS Install”. The window is still 1280X960, but the preferences say 1600X1200. I must have missed some step, but I don't know what.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

I really do not know what you are doing. You should have told right at the beginning that you used Chubby Bunny and not a regular SheepShaver. Now you probably got some sort of mixed setup. If you want to proceed and switch from Chubby Bunny to a regular setup while continue using your old virtual HD that was used inside Chubby Bunny, then the procedure is very different from what is described in the setup manual.

There are three options. Which one do you want?
1. Switch from Chubby Bunny to the new SheepShaver while keeping everything from Chubby Bunny as is.
2. Switch to a regular SheepShaver setup with all its possibilities while still using the virtual disks you used in Chubby Bunny.
3. Start from scratch with a new SheepShaver setup.
dickplotz
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dickplotz »

Thanks, that makes sense to me. I had actually forgotten when I first wrote, since it's been many years, that what I was using was Chubby Bunny (and that that is different from a regular SheepShaver).

If your option 2 is possible, that's what I would prefer to do.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Ok. Before we proceed two more questions.

1. Is your Chubby Bunny V4.0.1?

2. Do you use in Chubby Bunny additional disk images in /Users/Shared/? If so, which ones?
Additional images for Chubby Bunny can be:
400Meg.dmg
800Meg.dmg
1200Meg.dmg
MyOldHD.dmg
COIHD.dmg
dickplotz
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dickplotz »

In my Chubby Bunny, it says "SheepShaver Version 2.3" That must be very old indeed.

There are no .dmg files in Users/Shared. The only one is macos9800.dmg, in the SheepShaver folder.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Which version of Chubby Bunny do you use? The latest version I know dates back to 2007, it has no SheepShaver folder and it has no macos9800.dmg image. Doesn't the folder contain the application 'COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny"'?

I need to know what is where in your version of Chubby Bunny. The preferences file it creates when it is launched will tell that. Does it still run on your old Mac?
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
dickplotz
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dickplotz »

It runs, but today it tells me there's no Unix disk, which means I must have moved something yesterday. There should be a folder called Shared. I found all the folders called Shared. My data are in the one under Users. There's one in the SheepShaver folder and it's empty. That's how it's always been and SheepShaver used it as the Unix disk until yesterday.

In the SheepShaver folder, there's no COI application. Nothing I have actually says Chubby Bunny, but that's what I remember it being called when I got it.

Maybe it would be simpler if I made a clean installation of SheepShaver and moved my data into the right location to use it.
dickplotz
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dickplotz »

On my new Mac, which I restored from my Time Machine backup from last week, the SheepShaver application does recognize the counterpart "Shared" folder as its Unix folder.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

dickplotz wrote:It runs, but today it tells me there's no Unix disk, which means I must have moved something yesterday.
That is the usual message when something has changed in settings and SheepShaver is not subsequently quit.

However, Chubby Bunny (at least the versions I know) only use the /Users/Shared/ folder for the shared folder. SheepShaver used the Shared folder in the SheepShaver folder? Are you sure you use Chubby Bunny and not a different SheepShaver setup? As I wrote, Chubby Bunny does not use or contain a SheepShaver folder. There is not even a SheepShaver application as such. It only contains a SheepShaver executable, deeply buried inside the COI / Chubby Bunny application.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
dickplotz
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dickplotz »

Then I guess what I have isn't Chubby Bunny. I don't remember where I got it, I think 9 years ago.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Well, whatever setup you have, you want to run the latest SheepShaver on your new Mac using the disk image(s) that SheepShaver uses on your old Mac. So we need to get copies of those disk images.

To find them with certainty, we need the content of the preferences file on your old Mac.

On your old Mac do this:

Launch Terminal (in /Application/Utilities/) and type at the prompt

Code: Select all

open ~/.sheepshaver_prefs
followed by a return.
The file will open in your default text editor. Select all content and copy and paste it here in your reply.
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason:  
dickplotz
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dickplotz »

disk /Users/dickplotz/Public/ working folder/OS 9 emulator/Classic.app/COI.app/.Classic.dmg
rom /Users/dickplotz/Public/ working folder/OS 9 emulator/Classic.app/COI.app/.old.rom
keycodefile /Users/dickplotz/Public/ working folder/OS 9 emulator/Classic.app/COI.app/.BasiliskII_keycodes
rom COI.app/.old.rom
keycodefile COI.app/.BasiliskII_keycodes
disk /Users/Shared/400Meg.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/800Meg.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/1200Meg.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/MyOldHD.dmg
disk /Users/Shared/COIHD.dmg
extfs /Users/Shared/
screen win/1024/855
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala
serialb
bootdrive 0
bootdriver -62
ramsize 268435456
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui true
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv false
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
ether slirp
keycodes true
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv false
idlewait false
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Yes, you use Chubby Bunny. In your case it is called "Classic" application.

First an additional question before we proceed: Are any of the .dmg disk images that are listed near the top of the prefs in fact present in the /Users/Shared/ folder?
dickplotz
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dickplotz »

If they would be at the top level under Shared, no. There are 4 folders: Applications, Desktop (empty), Genealogy (that's my data), and Library (empty except for nested folders).
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Strange collection of folders in that location, but never mind. The other possible disk images are not there, so were never used.

You will now copy the 9.0.4 system disk image out of "Classic" for use in a regular SheepShaver setup:
The files may also be migrated to your new Mac but I think it is best to do this still on your old Mac.

- Go to the "OS 9 emulator" folder in your working folder.
- Right-click (or control-click) on the "Classic" icon and choose "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu.

You will now see a Finder window containing a file "COI" (which is really a package) and probably a folder "Contents".

- Launch Terminal (in /Applications/Utilities/).
- At the prompt in Terminal type

cd
followed by a space (do not forget the space and do not yet hit return!).
- Drag the COI icon from the Finder window into the Terminal window.

The path to the COI package will appear after cd .

- With the Terminal window still in front, hit return.
- Then, at the new prompt, type in Terminal:

cp .Classic.dmg ~/Desktop/MacOS9.dsk
followed by a return.

A copy of the Classic startup disk image will appear on your desktop with the name "MacOS9.dsk".

Tell me when you completed this procedure successfully. I will then guide you through the next steps.
dickplotz
Inquisitive Elf

Post by dickplotz »

That all worked as expected.

What next?