How to create a 1 GB HDD for PearPC ?

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

Good morning all !

I would like to create an HDD image for PearPC of 1 GB because on the official site here there are only 3 GB & 6 GB. I created a 1 GB HDD with Qemu but he tells me that the HDD must be a multiple of 516096 ...

Thanks best regards !
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: How to create a 1 GB HDD for PearPC ?

Post by adespoton »

You don't; PearPC is strict in what sort of disk sectoring/addressing it can use. So you can create 3GB, 6GB, 9GB disk images.

It is technically possible to use other sizes, but this requires much fiddling with PearPC source and/or disk sector sizes. At that point, it's easier to just use QEMU-PPC which is more robust and in some cases faster.
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

OK thanks for your answer !

I used Qemu but the installation of MacOS is very slow & the launch of the system too...

Greetings !
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Which version of QEMU did you try? It's come a long way in the past two years.
Sebiohazard
Mac Mechanic

Post by Sebiohazard »

Hello !

I use Qemu version 4.1 (23.08.2019) with audio support... I noticed that the other versions do not have qemu-img.exe to create the hard disk images ?!

Greetings !
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

The official versions should include qemu-img -- it hasn't really changed in years. The experimental builds are just that -- experimental. They're using code that hasn't been fully tested and rolled back into the main project.

If you want to duplicate the experience of PearPC, best to use the official build with no sound -- although having said that, the latest experimental build with the FPU improvements speeds a number of things up significantly. And sound is nice.
win.exe
Tinkerer

Post by win.exe »

You can install Mac OS X on a 1GB HDD on PearPC. You can create any size HDD you want by following http://www.emaculation.com/articles/ppchd.pdf
Some proof: