Internet on PearPC 10.3 Panther Updated?

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Needalotofhelp
Student Driver

Internet on PearPC 10.3 Panther Updated?

Post by Needalotofhelp »

I'm trying to get Internet to work on PearPC 0.5 via the Virtualbox GUI. I've tried using the guide for Windows XP/Vista, but I'm on Windows 10, the connection from OpenVPN says TAP-Windows6 (It doesn't say 32 in the title, and when I try to boot the machine with the internet connection option on, it doesn't work. I'd like help ASAP.
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Internet on PearPC 10.3 Panther Updated?

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Is there any particular reason you want to use pearpc to run OSX?
If not, you are way better off running OSX with Qemu.

Best,
Cat_7
Needalotofhelp
Student Driver

Post by Needalotofhelp »

I don't know how to use Qemu, I just thought PearPC was the only way to emulate Panther. I've already put in a lot of work into setting it up, and the client OS recognizes that there's an Ethernet device, it's just saying it has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet.
As for why, I simply just really want to check out Safari on the older systems, and possibly download new programs that work with Panther.

(And speaking of which, I made some progress and some errors on the post, I'm running 0.4, not 0.5, it's now Tap-Windows Adapter V9, and the computer can tell there's a PCI Ethernet pci10ec, 8139 Port 4 installed, it's just having a self-assigned IP address)
Last edited by Needalotofhelp on Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

It is not enough to install the tap device. You need to set internet sharing for your default network connection and select the tap device as the device allowed to use your default connection.

You can download Qemu from our forum: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9028
It has out of the box networking facilities and will work with the disk image on which you already installed Panther. Guide is here: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pp ... or-windows

If you need help setting that up, ask in the Qemu forum.

Best,
Cat_7