Networking under Windows XP

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

zone

Networking under Windows XP

Post by zone »

Does anyone know why it is not possible to connect Mac OS X with Windows XP, and if it could happen in the near future? Thanks!

Post by Guest »

As far as I understand there|s no emulated network card driver for windows at this time.
Ph0eniX

Re: Networking under Windows XP

Post by Ph0eniX »

zone wrote:Does anyone know why it is not possible to connect Mac OS X with Windows XP, and if it could happen in the near future? Thanks!
It can happen as soon as someone writes the driver.
grayfox
Tinkerer

Post by grayfox »

I have a fealing thats not goina happen for a long time.
nutznboltz
Student Driver

Post by nutznboltz »

In the meantime you could boot a knoppix CD on your Win box and build PearPC on that.

http://knoppix.com/

Knoppix is the most popular no-install Linux. Boot and go without writing to your disk.
You will have to "dpkg -i" some more .debs to get the qt development environment.
Is anyone interested enough in this approach for me to setup a web server with the .debs and instructions?

There are number of ways to save data to stable storage so when Knoppix reboots you can re-esablish your working environment. For instance you can mount existing FAT32. Knoppix 3.4 is supposed to be able to handle NTFS now.

Another approach would be to build a custom Live-CD with PearPC installed.

Post by Guest »

nutznboltz wrote:In the meantime you could boot a knoppix CD on your Win box and build PearPC on that.

http://knoppix.com/

Knoppix is the most popular no-install Linux. Boot and go without writing to your disk.
You will have to "dpkg -i" some more .debs to get the qt development environment.
Is anyone interested enough in this approach for me to setup a web server with the .debs and instructions?

There are number of ways to save data to stable storage so when Knoppix reboots you can re-esablish your working environment. For instance you can mount existing FAT32. Knoppix 3.4 is supposed to be able to handle NTFS now.

Another approach would be to build a custom Live-CD with PearPC installed.
That's not a viable option for a lot of us.
grayfox
Tinkerer

Post by grayfox »

knopix can write to ntfs partitions so after u compile it u can only use it till, u reboot and the whole harddrive problem but if ur on a fat 32 then its a good option
cybermagellan

Networking in XP

Post by cybermagellan »

yeah it sounds like someone just needs to write the drivers for it. Now I am not a genius or anything but you mine as well start learning MAD programming skills.....or probably be willing to charge people to write the drivers for their specific card. Now I have no clue the first idea to writing drivers. However I did the math....

1. Figure out the PowerPC assembly language for the hardware calls
2. Figure out how PearPC converts this to i386
3. Write your driver
4. Add your driver to the Network part of the ppc_hd file

Laugh at everyone else.....

I just like the cool graphics
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

LOL....In retrospect.. John_K is now laughing at all of us now.